Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

It Never Ends

Started by jradnich, July 23, 2019, 08:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jradnich

Over the last winter I rebuilt a MX360 engine, added a Power Dynamo ignition and put it into my 74 DT250 with the stock MX360 chamber and silencer. After I got the jetting straightened out I found the bike was a kick to ride. I promised myself to leave all the bikes alone and spend more time riding and less time working on them.
And along comes a Craigslist ad. A shifter kart with a RM500 engine for only $200. And I happen to have a 74 TS250. First step is to see if the engine will physically fit in the TS frame. Then it's pull the engine down to see what it needs and find an ignition/ charging system for it. A chamber was on the kart, it looks like the stock RM pipe, it's pretty well butchered at the inlet end but the rest looks good. So here I go again.

thatguy

I understand. It's a sickness.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

jradnich

It looks like the engine will fit without cutting any tabs off of the frame. I'll need to make a new mount in the front and some adapters in the rear and the pipe will clear the single tube frame in the front.
My current dilemma is a charging system. Power Dynamo and HPI don't show any kits that include a charging. It needs to fit into a
4 3/4" recess (smaller then the TS system). Does anyone have any ideas for other sources?

thatguy

Man I spent awhile looking and you may have an issue. Find someone that is knowledgeable about the old 'Zooks and see if you can cobb something up. Or contact someone like Electrex,Ricky Stator and ask if they've any ideas. Nothing off the shelf is available.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

jradnich

Thank you. That helps a lot.

tony27

I seem to remember that rods are impossible to find for the RM500 which is a major part of why you see so few of them being raced in vintage mx, hopefully the motor is sound

jradnich

That's good to know. Another "orphan" like my MX360 with hard to find parts. But the top end at least looks good to the eye so I'm hoping for the best when I tear it down (assuming I find a source for an ignition with a charging system).