1970 Quasar D Sports Racer - BaT auction - Oklahoma City

Started by SoCal250, March 04, 2020, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal250

(not mine)
You could go head to head with Sav0r in this

No Reserve: 1970 Quasar D Sports Racer
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-quasar-d-sports-racer-2/
"The air-cooled two-stroke 750cc and five-speed gearbox were sourced from a donor Suzuki GT750..."

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

AAAltered

Read more about the AC Ocelot GT750 engines...Cool history..

http://teamheronsuzuki.blogspot.com/2018/04/ocelot-suzuki-gt750.html

Gene Davis and Larrie Schneider ran Ocelot Racing, Inc, of Madison, Wisconsin. In addition to producing the Ocelot chassis, Ocelot engineering modified over 130 Suzuki GT-750 engines over a time frame covering from the early 70s to the mid 80's. These Ocelot/Suzuki engines ruled DSR for many years, until the more powerful Kohler (140HP) came on the scene. Several DSR National Championships were won with Ocelot Suzuki engines. Note that the Ocelot made even more power than the factory TR750 due to larger carburetors and a full 750cc displacement compared to the TR's carburetor size, limited by Grand Prix rules, and 739cc displacement. Note that with the horsepower listed below, Ocelot engines put out 2.5 HP/cubic inch or 150 HP/liter in the mid 70s! Ocelot made two basic race engine types: A 750cc "regional" engine good for 110-115 HP. A 1978 pricing sheet from Ocelot shows the "Introductory" 750cc engine at $2,463 Their killer 850cc 130HP "national" engine. The same 1978 pricing sheet from Ocelot shows the "National" 850cc engine at $3,545. Modifications: Ocelot engines included these changes: a modified TR-750 porting (similar to the Suzuki GP bike racing version) a "squish" head offering a small combustion chamber. un-tilted the outboard spark plugs. initially used the German Krober ignition type, then later change to the Lucas RITA LR105 (Racing Ignition Transistor Amplifier).
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

motodreams

Very cool!  A lot of the 750 GT engines must have ended up in race cars with the various series.

sav0r

It's cool that this showed up here. I commented on this auction the other day when the link was posted on a formula car forum I frequent.

The engine in this car is no longer an Ocelot build. It's basically stock as far as I can tell.

The Quasar chassis however is a bit of a gem. Fred Puhn is kind of a hero of mine, and his book "How to Make Your Car Handle" remains a mainstay of low-ish level chasssis tuning, and is likely the first book I ever read cover to cover.

The Ocelots beat my father many times, he simply did not have budget to develop like they did. I don't believe he ever encountered a Quasar in the wild. I sent him a link to the auction last week and he made no mention of ever having raced against a Quasar, though he liked the build a lot. Especially for the Fred Puhn factor.

Aluminum cars like these are dangerous though, there's not much fun to be found when you get crushed inside an aluminum can. That's why my father replaced the roll structure in his car with steel.

Also, I'm not sure why they keep calling them air cooled, unless they mean air through a radiator. Ocelet charged like $350 for welding heads, centering the spark plugs, and cutting them. What a deal!
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.