Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Lacing stock RD rimsHiHi

Started by triple1972, December 20, 2020, 12:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple1972

Hello. A lot of info on aftermarket rims. I would like to lace an OEM 1.85 rear rim for 75 350. I am not against paying for this but would try it myself over the winter in NH. Any suggestions or tutorials on this .I am using a new Yamaha rim and spokes. Fortunate to find both.

Czakky

Check out YouTube. I popped my cherry last winter, really not hard. Allen Millyard just put up a basic video, there are more detailed videos out there.

pdxjim

I could watch these Millyard vids all day.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

oxford

Take some pics of the wheel before you take it apart so you can see how and where the spokes went.

I start getting all the spokes and nipples in and then getting all the nipples to the same distance on the spokes but still loose.  Usually where the nipple is just starting to coveri the threads is a good spot.

I then go all the way around the rim tightening the spokes the same amount of turns until the rim feels like it is getting some decent tension on it.

Now it is on to truing it, I take the "hop" out of the wheel first by working groups of spokes.  If there is a bad wobble in it I will address it some and get it close but I don't focus on it at this time.  Also now is a good time to get your offset close.

Once it is round you can then take the wobble out working the spokes that pull the way it needs to go and loosening the others.

I usually skip the dial indicator and just use something as a reference moving it closer to the rim as it starts to get tru.  Even though I have a stand I usually end up just trying the rims on the bike .

Don't forget to measure the rim offset from somewhere before you take it apart.  Also note any spots in the rim where it is "funky" like a weld seem, you will never get that spot perfect, just do the best you can and some rims are better than others.

Watch a few YouTube videos and have a go at it.