Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Aftermarket clutch kits

Started by Greaser Greg, December 01, 2019, 09:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

There are no cushion rings in the clutch that came on the decaf project. Is this some kind of magical clutch kit that eliminates the need for the o rings between the plate sets?
:bang: And why does the manual show seven steel plates and six friction plates on the early clutches, while members here say six plate clutches have six steel plates?  :bang: :help: :umm:
I'm so confused!
P.s. There's also no thrust plate (1)! #16 in the pics
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

2 Stroke Jamoke

I think its widely accepted to get rid of the rubber rings in between the plates. They are simply not needed

Jspooner

Quote from: Greaser Greg on December 01, 2019, 09:33:37 PM
There are no cushion rings in the clutch that came on the decaf project. Is this some kind of magical clutch kit that eliminates the need for the o rings between the plate sets?
:bang: And why does the manual show seven steel plates and six friction plates on the early clutches, while members here say six plate clutches have six steel plates?  :bang: :help: :umm:
I'm so confused!

You are absolutely right Greg, there are 7 steels all together. One of them is extra thick and goes on the bottom and acts as the base of the hub and then there are six thinner steels and six fibers. The last plate of the stack is a steel and then the pressure plate. I was wrong, I just dug out an old six plate clutch.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

SUPERTUNE

It is known always to get rid of the o-rings between the plates, as they can make the clutch slip, especially now as you can't buy new ones and originals get hard after 45 years and make the problem much worse nowadays.

Early cases don't use a 3 bolt retainer plate over the input bearing too.
The #16 your referring to, is a stepped thrust washer (thinner) and must not be used and exchanged to using another of the #14 (thicker) thrust non-stepped washer if converting to the 7 plate clutch using the later inner hub. (see my other post in the clutch post)
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

SUPERTUNE

I use the YZ250 fiber clutch plates or as some use the FZR1000 plates as they are wider and take the space where the o-rings were located.

See here...
http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=927.0
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Greaser Greg

Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

quocle603

I was just about to link you to Chuck's thread but he always beats me to it.  :bang:
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC