This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

To pod or not to pod? Suzuki GT200 carbs

Started by NoRiders, May 22, 2020, 10:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

Hello, I have a question if I may?

Thinking it's time to source appropriate air filters for the Suzuki GT200 build. I have in mind the foam style, or maybe the K&N gauze type...but finding them in 34mm neck size is tricky tbh. Some do look like they're really poor quality, even the K&Ns look similarly poor....and the prices aren't cheap either

Seen these RamAir foam filters....anyone had direct working experience of these, of similar? I'm open to suggestions, but cannot use the stock intake system so pods is it.

Thank you.

thatguy

Over the years I've found if using the stock intake is an option it's often the best one. Far less headache tuning and such. Especially on a bike that didn't see huge sales numbers.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

rd400canuck

I can only talk about my experience with an RZ350 I owned with pods.... they ruined that bike. jetting was a nightmare and anything but wide open high revs experienced issues with them. The intake drone was awful as well. The happiest I ever was with any two-stroke is with stock intake system. I had an RD400 with a 2-1 on it... when I took that out (intake drone killing me) the bike smoothed out, bottom end returned... the bike was just better all round.

With my recent 1976 Rd400 project I wanted nothing but stock intake and exhaust. Those engineers knew what they were doing. Now... if I was racing on a track and the bike was always going to be revving to the moon... Id consider pods or 2-1.. but for a street bike... no thanks.

m in sc

run the ram airs, all foam, no problem to tune if you are patient.

my rz had 5" long all foam unis and was an absolute dream to ride, but was also tuned as such with pwk flatslides. actually, pretty much all my 2-strokes run them except the r5 (yboot) and the t-500 (stock as the day it was built).

you will see benefit adding at least a 1" smooth runner, even at an angle, ahead fo the carb belmouth.  I've had good luck on other projects fitting a short open velocity stack and an all foam uni filter at the end of it.

rd400canuck

I had the k&n folded types with the metal backs.... any truth in the metal backs causing pulse timing issues in the intake track and messing up carburation?

m in sc

YES. I actually did my final paper on that in college. ;)

reversion is a biach

Czakky

Quote from: m in sc on May 22, 2020, 12:10:21 PM
YES. I actually did my final paper on that in college. ;)

That's awesome!

rd400canuck

he he wow... ok then!  Maybe one day I will give the ones the OP shows a try.... just for my curiosity.

m in sc

just use the longest all foam ones you can.  :twocents:

85RZwade

How much room do you have between bellmouths and your oil tank holder, Colin? I'm wondering if a Y-boot would fit in there.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I measured my Y-boot ('85 US-spec RZ350 carbs) just now:43mm bellmouths, 98mm center-to-center, 152mm length.
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on May 23, 2020, 10:30:00 AM
I measured my Y-boot ('85 US-spec RZ350 carbs) just now:43mm bellmouths, 98mm center-to-center, 152mm length.

I'll have to offer them up and measure precisely, think I roughed it a 80mm filter...but dimensions will be critical. Thank you.

NoRiders

Thank you gents, for you input and advice.

I'll explore trumpets and foam socks, but defo going foam/oil rather than gauze with caps.

Cheers

PS Got some lectrickery going on yesterday on the Suzonda

JB Weld

Check out uni.com for filter dimensions.

With that said be careful of the end caps. I found filters to fit my RD350 which I thought would be good (in their snowmobile line) but they had plastic ends. Thought I would take a chance and buy some, but off eBay, and they were very old and had metal end caps. Unsure of the difference between metal or plastic ends, but I'm going to run them and see how it runs I guess. The first all foams I bought were too long and Mark bought them.

motodreams

Metal likely worse for reasons mentioned above!

RZ responds very well to filters as Mark said! 

I would expect a slight increase in performance and gas consumption along with a lot of jetting work to get it right using pods!  Personally I use stock airbox unless I don't have one or trying to squeeze out a bit more power.  Pods look better and perform better plus are usually a lot cheaper than finding a stock airbox.  There must be an application out there that may be non-motorcycle you will have to source as I've seen pods on all sorts of motors...