Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Has anyone used these R5 brakes?

Started by soonerbillz, April 18, 2021, 12:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

This guy has these listed as for R5 and a bunch of other models.
Has anyone bought and used these? Seems R5 specific shoes are rare as hen teeth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-Yamaha-Front-Brake-Shoes-Grooved-DS6-DS7-RD250-RD350-XS400-R3-R5-NEW-/312770969262

AAAltered

I am using them for the past year, Front and Rear.  I only have about 100 miles on them.  No problems....

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

soonerbillz

Ok cool... I was hoping they were legit!

rodneya

I had a set on my RD350 for a while before switching to a disk. No issues.

Dvsrd

A bit OT I guess, but anyway. So the RD rear brake shoes are the same as the front R5 brake shoes. Just that the R5 is a TLS brake?
Then an R5 front brake plate should fit on the rear hub of an RD, maybe with some minor mods (hole diameter, spacer, facing, etc) ?
If so, that would be the way to go for a cable actuated rear brake with OEM looks. (Not for a stronger brake, the stock RD is more than strong enough IMHO)

m in sc

you can easily convert a stock rd rear hub to cable.

no, the front and rear shoes are different. the grooves help keep the brake dust in check, i have used those before.

soonerbillz

Quote from: Dvsrd on April 22, 2021, 11:48:38 AM
A bit OT I guess, but anyway. So the RD rear brake shoes are the same as the front R5 brake shoes. Just that the R5 is a TLS brake?
Then an R5 front brake plate should fit on the rear hub of an RD, maybe with some minor mods (hole diameter, spacer, facing, etc) ?
If so, that would be the way to go for a cable actuated rear brake with OEM looks. (Not for a stronger brake, the stock RD is more than strong enough IMHO)

What would be the point of converting to cable. I would think stretch and flex of a cable would make for a weaker brake action.

m in sc

im not sure on his reasoning, but in mine, it gave better feel to be honest. .02. also, much less linkage to deal with.

Dvsrd

Quote from: soonerbillz on April 22, 2021, 12:03:08 PM
Quote from: Dvsrd on April 22, 2021, 11:48:38 AM

What would be the point of converting to cable. I would think stretch and flex of a cable would make for a weaker brake action.
Quote from: m in sc on April 22, 2021, 03:59:55 PM
im not sure on his reasoning, but in mine, it gave better feel to be honest. .02. also, much less linkage to deal with.
Quote from: m in sc on April 22, 2021, 11:54:52 AM
you can easily convert a stock rd rear hub to cable.

no, the front and rear shoes are different. the grooves help keep the brake dust in check, i have used those before.

My reasoning is pretty much the same as Mark's. A simpler, lighter setup basically. I have modified a stock RD brake for cable, by bolting on a cable sleeve bracket made from 8 mm 6082 angle, using 4 pcs countersunk M6. Probably total overkill.