Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

replacing chain and maybe sprocket ???

Started by top-jelopy, May 28, 2019, 11:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

top-jelopy

Is it always best to replace front and back sprockets when replacing  a chain ? I already   have the  rear sprocket cleaned /installed  as I thought it was still usable ,or shall I bleed more money on this complete  rebuild ? thoughts are appreciated .

Striker1423

That depends on how the teeth look on both sprockets and how long you want your new chain to last.

~JM~

Quote from: top-jelopy on May 28, 2019, 11:04:43 PMIs it always best to replace front and back sprockets when replacing  a chain ? I already   have the  rear sprocket cleaned /installed  as I thought it was still usable ,or shall I bleed more money on this complete  rebuild ? thoughts are appreciated .

Usually. Spend the money once & be done with it.

Buy the best tires, chains, bearings that you can. Nasty consequences if they fail at speed.

Might consider a 520 series swap.

Seizer

Do the 520 swap. It's really a win-win situation.

pdxjim

What they ^ said.

Dunno what bike you're working on, but PBI should have the sprockets you need.

http://www.pbisprockets.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuLPnBRDjARIsACDzGL3anuZxnH-_2IIBM03LhcS-7Lpu4fXk2_FD2zM4ma9yFJ69nPIWRzkaAovdEALw_wcB

Get the thinner, lighter DID narrow X-ring chain and save a little weight there too.

It's only money  :devil:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Dvsrd

DID520 VX, has X-shaped rings which gives less friction than O-rings.

forexer

Mark aka..ENGINEAIR always recommended replacing both sprockets and more importantly  make sure you get a new FRONT SPROCKET RETAINING LOCK WASHER.

+1 on the O-Ring Chain it's worth the money

SUPERTUNE

If doing a modified bike with chambers, I would consider dropping the front 1 tooth anyways, so I you haven't bought it yet, now is the best time to just go all new.
If you have already have bought a new, chain just use it if the teeth are not shot and always can replace it all later and see what gearing changes you may want to do after getting back together and dialed in...
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

quocle603

520 conversion.

1. DID chain, standard. not the X or O ring ones.
2. YTM yamaha 200 sprocket rear
3. JTF565.15.
GOOD LUCK!
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC