Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD350/400 Tach Drive Delete

Started by rlloydm, March 22, 2022, 08:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlloydm

Was just messing around with the lathe the other night and knocked this up. I'm running an Scitsu tach on the race bike. Any good reason not to do something like this? Seems like less rotating mass that the engine has to drive and I can't really see the harm in it but what do I know.

Striker1423

Won't harm anything. Just don't forget to take the internal driven parts out. Or a least cover the top drive up with a rubber cap.

rlloydm

Quote from: Striker1423 on March 22, 2022, 08:52:17 PM
Won't harm anything. Just don't forget to take the internal driven parts out. Or a least cover the top drive up with a rubber cap.

Oh yes, of course. That stuff has been out of there with a block off plate on top since day one.

rodneya

You dont need anything in there at all after removing the drive gear /shaft and retaining plate. I took everything out put a blanking plug with an oring in the top of the case.

m in sc

yeah, it doesn't do any good or bad having it there, you aren't stopping it from actually doing anything. Me? i leave mine open.

I do make plugs for the back of the case though that slip in , and are held down w stock retainer and seal with an o ring when i go elec tach though

rlloydm

Glad I asked - maybe I'll just take it out. Was bored and itching to play with the (new to me) lathe, to be quite honest.