Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

rd350b gearing

Started by kramdua, February 26, 2023, 11:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramdua

i was just wondering if anyone has changed their 73-75 rd350 sprockets to a 14t-39t ratio. i like to know how you like or dislike the set up.
thanks,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

Kawtriplefreak

John at Economy Cycle recommended that to me years ago. It is a good upgrade. The motor is just happier in general and cruising at 70 is much improved. My stock ported RD350B with TM32s and Moto-Carrera chambers with that gearing will pick the front wheel up vigorously in 1st and 2nd and average high 30s in gas mileage.

kramdua

thanks that's what info i was looking for. i am basically a back road rider and the previous owner had the stock sprockets on the bike and included the kit from john with the 14t and 39t sprockets. i am going to try it out.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

sav0r

The quality of the parts that John supplies are fantastic, but I'd rather be geared longer. I find it too short stop light to stop light and too short at highway speed.

I am on touch up ports with TM28's and modded DG's. It runs very smoothly at throttle pickup but runs out of steam quick once on the pipe. It's not a high rev build. I modded the DG's to be a mid range pipe and given the smaller carbs it all adds up.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

kramdua

i'll give an update tomorrow when it is springtime again in the southeast.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

i put the sprockets on and road tested it today. i tell you at first i was like what a rocket ship. after i road a bit and mostly back roads
i felt like i was riding one of my old dirt bikes. first gear was uncontrollable. you really couldn't accelerate and gain much speed in first because the front end was up almost immediately. for me and my setup on my bike i would rather retain the stock sprockets. the test didn't cost me since i got the 14t-39t with the extras with the bike.
thanks for the input,
mark
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

Striker1423

I haven't taken the RD on the freeway since I blew it up last time lol. I learned the hard way that long freeway rides and that bike just weren't a good combo. Especially not on the dragstrip of Michigan (I-696).

Kawtriplefreak

After re reading this I will have to look at mine when I get time. I am pretty sure I sm running 15/39 and not 14.

kramdua

my rd350b stock sprockets is 15t-40t. i didn't realize that my rear sprocket was a 39t even with the 15t installed. it road pretty well but i decided i am going back to stock of a 40t sprocket.
thanks,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

SoCal250

FYI
I put this together a while back as a quick reference
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

kramdua

good list. at first i thought 39 t was the stock rd350 rear sprocket. i believe the over sea's rd350 use a 39t sprocket with a 15 up front. where the usa used 40t.  i may be mistaken though.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

m in sc

r5s rear stock sprocket was a 39. also a 525 chain, originally.

kramdua

maybe that's what i saw was the r5 specs.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

you guys must think i don't have much to do being retired and all. waiting on my sprocket i must keep busy. thankfully shipping is so fast now i'll have it tomorrow.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)