Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Hinson Clutch

Started by Snaggletooth77x, August 01, 2021, 02:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snaggletooth77x

Anyone have any experience with the straight cut Hinson clutch basket and primary? Contemplating running one in my RD400F as I had a similar setup in my DT2MX and I liked it a lot.

rodneya

Id say use the $750 elsewhere on your bike. An aircooled RD will never make enough power to justify using that.

Snaggletooth77x

Quote from: rodneya on August 01, 2021, 07:03:59 PM
Id say use the $750 elsewhere on your bike. An aircooled RD will never make enough power to justify using that.

I don't really have anywhere else to spend it. Just one of those things on the want list. They sound cool and give some slight performance gains. I agree  it's more than what it's worth but why not? The only other to do on my list is the front R6 caliper swap.

rodneya

You wont see any performance gains. Straight cut gears are to not side load the crank when making 120 plus HP and lets you run a TZ roller bearing. The springs in the basket are also for very high HP so that you dont destroy the clutch basket cushions.

They sound cool, but you cant see them so that kinda takes away the coolness factor.. Get a spare clutch side cover and a clear clutch cover kit from Economy and some fancy titanium pressure plate bolts and add some bling to your ride. Just my 2c

m in sc

regarding the clutch:
you'll actually get more of a performance gain by going to a late 250 primary/clutch basket. this will spin the clutch slower = less windage and will notably wind up faster. since the transmission is spinning slower, then the engagement of the dogs will be at a lower speed and easier on them as well.   You can then compensate the oil pump with a 250 pump gear, and retain final drive ratio vs crank rpm by going up one on the front chain sprocket.  I know you can do this on a 350, pretty sure the 400s will take it as well.

the only downside is it will wear the bearing behind the basket faster depending how much power you are running through the motor.

:twocents:

that hinson clutch is sweet. I get that.

Snaggletooth77x

Thanks guys, this will help with my decision and possibly my wallet. Cheers.

rodneya