Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

identifying master part

Started by 2t Fan, January 06, 2020, 06:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2t Fan

trying to identify the part on the left. Removed from a ASCO 5/8 master mounted on a RD350. The part on the right is from the master repair kit for RD350, but it is not the same as the old one !

2t Fan

more pics

1976RD400C

Two different manufacturers and they are using different piston designs. OEM Yamaha rebuild kit is not going to work on a aftermarket master cylinder.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

motodreams

2nd that comment.  RD350 rebuild kit is for the RD350 OEM brake system.

m in sc

whos that 'master kit' from?  fwiw the master rebuild kit for an rd is the same as an xs of the same era. you can clean that plunger and just replace the seals. or fit a new master. if that's the old one, it must be pretty crusty inside.

2t Fan

The master repair kit is from Niche Cycle and I believe it's for the OE master

2t Fan

This is the master cylinder on the bike. Is this an OE master or taken from another model ?

m in sc

looks like the right one to me, the master.

the rebuild kits.. your 1st pic left a few parts out. this is from the niche page, i rearranged the parts in the order they should go in.. it should work just fine. the back disc takes place of the rear seal. the plunger shaft is just a different configuration but works the same. I have used similar in the past.

2t Fan

2t Fan

fixed as suggested, but fluid is not flowing , what else to look  :umm:

m in sc

clean the holes in the master cylinder body, especially the small one, fill master with fluid off bike from banjo fitting side, then reservoir, and bench bleed.  also, what condition are the lines in? ive seen them rusted solid inside with gunk before.

2t Fan

lines are clear, will the master work with the new parts ? OE old master kit parts looks different.

m in sc

it should. but, if i were you, id just get a new master cylinder start from scratch.  :twocents:

2t Fan

Rebuild kit  what Niche Cycle sell is different from the 1A0-W0041-00-00 kit ? Will that be a reason ?