Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Off-Roading at my age?

Started by BlueR32, December 21, 2022, 06:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueR32

Hi Team. Not related to 2-strokes but I really respect the general input from this Forum's members so I feel I would get some good feedback on my dilemma. First up I am 66.5 years old but in good physical shape & health. I've been a street rider since I started riding at age 16 (many 2-strokes BTW). I live in NC USA but in the last couple of years I have been spending extended periods in Colorado to escape the mid-summer humidity of NC. I will retire in July 2023 and our plan is to spend the summers in CO (particularly Salida/BV area). I have discovered there's a big offroad community out there. I am strangely drawn to the offroad riding scene having binge-watched Itchy Boots on Youtube but I have not ventured beyond some well maintained gravel roads. I wouldn't see myself going too extreme but I think I would enjoy exploring more of the unpaved roads and the scenery that comes with it. Of course I know I will want to do more if I get into it. I bought a 2014 Honda CB500X from a friend in NC and it is now housed at our second home in Salida CO. However it is not the ideal steed for anything more than smooth unpaved surfaces. Considering my complete lack of off-road riding ability am I mad to consider getting into this at my age? 

kpke

I don't think so. Enjoy it while you can, just don't fall over  :rolleyes:. After I my Gold Wing sells (wife had hip replacement so she's not getting on it again and that's what we bought it for) I'm pretty sure it will be replaced with a dual sport. Not a giant one which are all the rage these days. Maybe a Tenere 700 or???
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

1976RD400C

Not crazy at all. It helps you get the exercise you need in your senior years. Wear some heavy-duty protective gear so if something happens you say "oops" instead of "ouch".
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

go easy. i gave up off-roading because i knew i was going to take it too far.. but, def nothing wrong with some trail riding. try it!  :whoop: be aware, you will def feel it in your core and upper arms/shoulders the 1st few times.

edgefinder

I have a lot of experience from a young age and backroads go on forever in Colorado. I recomend an old XR200 or 250 to start with. You can ride from your house in Salida and not go more than 30 miles away taking different mine roads each time. I like paper quadrangle maps from the US geological survey so I can pencil in roads I know. Later I like to compare with goggla earth satellite view. Big adventure bikes and lots of gear ruin the whole thing for me. I like to keep it simple and enjoy the ride kinda like rd350's do

Luke

BlueR32

Great feedback guys! Thanks for all the good advice. I am definitely looking at smaller displacement/lighter bikes for this adventure. The big ADVs don't interest me one iota. If the bike goes over I need to be able to pick it up without assistance. I was able to pick the CB500X up from a tip-over on a gravel road but it just confirmed that will not be going heavier than that. Would love to get my hands on a Yamaha WR250R but they've become "rare" (aka expensive) since Yamaha stopped making them. I don't get it.....why stop making such a great machine?

m in sc

Id def look at street legal dual sports. for some reason the XT250 has been catching my fancy lately, and its relatively cheap.  I have -zero- personal experience with them or feedback. 

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/dual-sport/models/xt250

SoCal250

I agree with the XT (XT225 or XT250). You can pick up a used one pretty cheap and they're super reliable and easy to work on. If you go the used route and then decide the off-road thing isn't really for you, you won't have much invested.

A lot of good info here about maintenance, mods, troubleshooting, and trail ride areas.
http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

85RZwade

At 54 now, and off-roading since I was 12. I still feel great riding in the woods and desert, but I am aware that I heal more slowly than I used to, so there's something to be said for taking it a little easier these days. Gotta be able to go to work on Monday! I usually feel fine the day after riding, but day two I'm junk parts and everything is sore. pdxjim is close the same age, but I think he's in better shape and maybe doesn't suffer the same. Jim?
I say go for it!
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I'll be 55 in a month, and I love woods, trail and ADV style riding.

I do it all on my 2T 300, including a few 1000mi 10day BDR rides here in OR, WA and ID.

Super fun, and only as high-impact as you make it.  Aside from picking up a dropped bike, I see no reason it'd be any more demanding than street riding.

Certainly a helluva lot safer (than the street) in the long run as the trees, rocks and sagebrush aren't actively trying to run you down.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

busa1300

How about a KTM 390 Adventure.
Lightweight, yet enough power for highway speeds
...And it's a KTM... :thumbs:

Check this place out...
These guys will give you more options than there are bikes in the world...
https://www.advrider.com/
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

BlueR32

KTM 390 adventure is on the list for sure! I've watched a ton of You Tube videos and it looks like the right balance of road/off-road for what I would be doing.

irk_miller

I'm in my 50s and do way more dirt riding than street riding.  I'm a short guy at 5'6", so I tend to gravitate towards 200 - 250cc bikes.  My favorite woods bike is an IT200.  I would put an XR250 then XR200 a close 2nd and 3rd.  All mid-80s bikes.  Nothing new.  I also run an 87 XL250r, which is a 3 year only bike where Honda put an XR engine into an XL.  I put XR running gear to replace the XL stuff (shock, front end and wheels), which makes it a lot better offroad but it's still street legal.  I have also owned a few DR350's.  The market on them is higher, but they are great engines.  One I converted to a 440 big bore and the others were mostly stock (One was an S and one a dirt only).  The 440 was just stupid for me.  The 350s are amazing trail bikes, but they're too tall for me.  I had more whiskey throttle episodes with a DR440 than any bike in my life.