Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Top End Do-Over Questions

Started by Striker1423, March 08, 2022, 05:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

I'm at the point where a side cover gasket and the electrics and ripping is ready for this motor again.

But, the top end is a bit of a concern. John corrected the squish and instructed me to buy 2 of the same sized .040 head gaskets. Of course I did that. But, the heads were marked before I installed them and once cleaned etc, I think I must have cleaned off the sharpie. So, do I need to get out a few chucks of solder and some calipers to re-check the squish on each side?

Also, when it comes to measuring pistons. I intended to measure the skirt with my calipers, and the bores of each cylinder as well.  Then install the replacement pistons where they best fit. Is this the typical way this would be done? I know bores are typically honed to match the pistons, but since I'm working on a quasi-blow-up, what should I look out for?

m in sc

what i did, similar situation, is check skirt to bore clearance in a few spots with thin brass a feeler gauge and check the best fit.  not preferred or ideal, but worked for me.

id recheck squish for sure.  :twocents:

Striker1423

Right ok. I'll have to get some solder. The heads look the same, but I think John matched them up to specific bores.

The piston measurement I figure id get the closest hole matched up as you said and run it. John said it was such a short time on the top end it would likely still be straight.

soonerbillz

So what squish minimum are you all working off of?
I see .09mm is a minimum on various threads I've read.
How much can you realistically change a base gasket before you are messing with port timing?