News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Chatter / Re: RIP Frame Maker
Last post by Todd Horton - Today at 03:31:40 PM
Sad news, RIP
Race Discussions / Re: 2024 MotoGP - Aleix retire...
Last post by SoCal250 - Today at 01:19:41 PM
"The Captain" is retiring. Aleix Espargaro has announced that 2024 will be his final season on the grid.
Turning Wrenches / Re: 73 RD350 running lights
Last post by Vintagewannabe - Today at 12:51:52 PM
Honestly does make me feel better that I hadn't started throwing parts at it
Thanks friend!
Haus of Projects / Re: Yamaha YA-1 Resurrection
Last post by RDnuTZ - Today at 12:51:18 PM
growing up dirt biking in SoCal in late 1960s, 1970s many bikes had Sachs motors in them. Penton, Zundap, Monark,and DKW among them. Some were directly licensed by German Sachs, some imitators that probably weren't. Eventually all of them became branded with KTM on the exact same engines. We all know how big the Austrian KTM conglomerate has become absorbing and buying out other brands.

Here's a link to a VMX swap meet site owned/operated by a guy named Mark Holloway who has an extensive collection of 1973/74 125 dirt bikes. If you look at the main page of this site you'll see a list of era 125s he's acquired and some he's still looking for- but many pictures and stories on his restorations on his collection. You can see how many bikes used the Sachs/KTM motors of the era. Might be a good place to expand options of different brands for parts interchangeability...

https://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi

Turning Wrenches / Re: idle screw does not raise ...
Last post by m in sc - Today at 12:31:12 PM
yup. thats Cv. but it should still be able to idle. also make sure the needle valve seat is big enough, ive been bitten by 1.5mm ID ones not flowing enough. need to be min 2-2.5mm units.
big zip file with repair manual, zeeltronic info for the RZ350.

https://2strokeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/general-tech/RZ350-parts-manual/rz-stuff.zip

Turning Wrenches / Re: idle screw does not raise ...
Last post by older2smokers - Today at 12:03:59 PM
interestingly, related to last two responses regarding venting/fuel flow, i noticed something when i converted back to the Mikuni.  To get the fuel line connected to the Keihin i used two 90 deg fittings (between short sections of hose) instead of looping the fuel line.  the petcock exits out the side but the angle and location of the inlet on the carb dictated this.  What i found was a noticeable difference in the flow rate between the zig-zaged line and a short straight section of hose (even one much longer than necessary for the Mikuni).  it wasn't difficult to blow through it but definitely a difference between the two.  Not sure it makes sense, given the symptoms but still. 

IF bowl wouldn't fill fast enough (which seems unlikely at idle speed) then wouldn't rpm go up as it went lean, starving for fuel?  Also, how could it have been rideable if it wasn;t keeping up with fuel demand?  hmmm. 

Haus of Projects / Re: Yamaha YA-1 Resurrection
Last post by m in sc - Today at 11:53:19 AM
WOW THATS AWESOME  :olaf:
Turning Wrenches / Re: 73 RD350 running lights
Last post by m in sc - Today at 10:27:46 AM
dont.. it happens. i know a guy w a norton commando that bought a whole wiring harness, carbs, and all sorts of shit because he had the kill switch in the wrong position. it worked, he just didn't know how to use it. I shit you not, it took him 2 years to figure it out. actually, he didn't.. another guy did.
Turning Wrenches / Re: VM28 carbs
Last post by m in sc - Today at 10:25:40 AM
neither did i . i was looking for some jets for a 4160 a few years ago and a mikuni jet popped up in the list. i was like 'wtf'?