This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Trac Dynamics RD 350/400 swingarms

Started by IR8D8R, October 23, 2023, 02:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

Trac Dynamics swingarm.
https://tracdynamics.com/products/yamaha-rd-350-400-swingarms?variant=43143530283177.

Anyone try one of these (photo)? They look slick. RD350 arms are same length as stock RD400 +1" over stock RD350.
 The products shown elsewhere and in earlier threads are box tube construction and not billet as this photo appears to be. Their website shows products for the 350 and 400 as well as extended length arms for other bikes.

Not all the reports about Trac Dynamics were complimentary.

IR8D8R

Brad-Man

The only negatives were about the misrepresentation of time to deliver...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

rodneya

They seem to make a lot of Harley stuff, all billet.
b3.jpgb2.jpgb1.jpg

pdxjim

Looks cool, but would be a pita to keep clean.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

IR8D8R

Despite the availability of these arms for HD, I don't see them on the KOTB bikes, even though they are allowed. I actually saw one in the wild a week ago on a Sportster or Dyna. Not sure which but it didn't have the usual luggage or batwing bus fairing. Gold anodized parts looked out of place on a Harley somehow.
 I'd have to paint it flat black to keep it from looking weird. Or paint the rest of the bike... I'd be better off with a grungy old DG with some miles on it.

IR8D8R

Lambchopz

Was considering this very option before Moto Lanna got swing arms back in stock.

Visited their shop and spent some time looking over their new design. They said, at least over a year ago roughly, that they were going to need my stock swing arm for measurements.

Apparently, for their new design, they had the rear end caps for RD400's but not for RD350's yet.

The new design did seem a bit heavy and clunky to me. Though, to be fair, I did not put it on a scale.

Hope this is helpful

sav0r

Abominations from an engineering standpoint. They look cool if you are into machined parts, and I suppose they could work for some aesthetics. On an RD though, I would want to scoop my eyes out.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

all the swingarm conversations on here lately want me jonesing an aluminum one for the 72... but  that trac dynamics one is  :dislike:  I'll probably go motolana eventually. (unless somebody has a different one for sale...  :whistle: )

IR8D8R

I'm still looking too. On Nathan's bike the Motolanna looks a little odd at +2" but he said it didn't change the handling too much. If I went that way our bikes would be nearly identical from 20 feet.

What stops me is the rear disc brake since I just did wheels and all new parts for the drum brake. For that reason I'd prefer an RD350 part. +1 would be OK. I think that requires finding a vintage piece. Unless we can talk Makr "Speed of Cheese" into making a run... I'd love to see what he could do. Maybe if 5 or 6 of us wanted one? or 10? I have 2 RD 350's...

IR8D8R

Brad-Man

Makes me glad I got my TracDynamics 350 +1" back in the day - although health reasons have prevented me from working on the build...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

sav0r

Somebody needs to step up and do a round tube thin wall aluminum arm with maybe like .25" greater diameter than stock. It would be lighter and stiffer, it would fit the design heritage of the bike, and it would be lighter than those pictures above. It would look great! I am not an old head RD guy (though I have had mine for 19 years, sheesh) and I am aware the box style DG's check the box of the sort of monoshock fad, but a round tube design would be so much better in everyway.

:twocents:

m in sc

oval 4130. i almost had danny talked into making them.  :taz:

sav0r

I think that would be sweet too, in fact probably better at least from an engineering perspective. Arguably, a nice fabricated steel arm would be as light or even lighter than an aluminum one.

general_piffle

They look totally out of place on what are now vintage/classic bikes.

Much better off going for an Accu-Products chromoly swinging arm. Lighter, stronger, and much better looking.