Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New to me work space

Started by 85RZwade, February 05, 2023, 12:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

Just starting a new space for the bikes.
Should be finished by summer

M

JBeasty

Awesome! I get almost as excited about construction projects as I do bikes!
1977 RD400

85RZwade

Gotta have a surface to beat on things, right? I have been toting lumber home from work for weeks to use in my shelving and now workbench projects; one nice thing about working at a tractor dealership is all the crate lumber that is available...free.

I read somewhere that if you're going to build a workbench, it's best to overbuild it. Or maybe I made that up.

I'm told these posts are Eastern oak; I don't know, but they are super dense and heavy. Should support two-stroke twin engines adequately.
I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

That's going to be a burly workbench!
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

RustyRD

sturdy might be an understatement, the new addition I am sure will be awesome. What will the dimensions be?

Acme Moto

Cool shop and thanks for sharing your progress!
Current bikes: 82' RD350LC, 85' RZV500, 86' RZ500S, 88' YSR50, 90' YSR50, 91' RGV250, 96'RS250, 06' Banshee
Sold: 92' TZR250SP :(

lawnboy

any plans to insulate and sheet rock for those PNW winters.

85RZwade

Thanks guys; I would  :love: to insulate and sheetrock the place (I do know a sheetrock professional  :whistle:), but it's not in the budget. Maybe someday, but I have thought about a little wood or pellet stove...if I stumble across one cheap. I do have the aforementioned source of free pallet and crate wood, but not a lot of room to store a firewood supply.
I'm still beavering away at the bench, and hope to have some substantial progress to show soon. The weekend is coming!
I post waayyy too much

dgorms

Ahem......hint taken Wade!  :guinness:
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

Trying out the work surface lumber...yep, that'll do, donkey.  :busey:
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

A little progress:

Very little!
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Get some insulation and drywall up in there Wade.  Otherwise it'll be hot as hell in the summer and cold as ballz in winter.

Buy the materials, beer and pizza, and be Dennis' gofer.

You know you'll regret it if you don't.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Marketplace yielded a nice find:

And I think we've figured out it's destiny:

add a couple of shelves and the cordless tools will all have a home, charging station included.
I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

85RZwade

Another marketplace find; listed as a shop box, it turned out to be a shop FOX. My idea was to eliminate some things from my newly-built workbench.

In addition to a bench grinder and vise, I have a drill press and belt sander crafted by the talented (and deceased) father of an old friend. They use 24 VDC army surplus motors, powered by a converter that turns 120 VAC to 24 VDC.

I made a top for it, then mounted the converter inside the box

A portable workstation that can roll out into the sunshine (yes, we get sunshine here)!
I post waayyy too much