This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Neutral light with Vape

Started by NYSingh, January 03, 2021, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

Have my new Vape all hooked up and working  :righteous:

I have it hooked up via the relay so the stock switches work.  That's all working fine, but the one thing I can't figure out is how to get the neutral light working again.

I made a new wire and screwed it into the neutral plate (see photo), and ran the wire behind the vape, through the grommet hole and back towards the fuse box.

On the other end, I put in a bullet connector and connected it to sky blue wire (see photo) that the original neutral wire was connected to.  I thought this would do the trick, but no luck.  What am I missing here?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

rodneya

Thats how I did mine on a 350.
Try grounding the wire at the bullet connector by the fuse box and ground the screw at the neutral switch to see if the light works. I know that on one of my bikes the neutral light does not always come on in neutral unless you wiggle the leaver a bit. I think it is because the contact in the newer switches is a lot smaller than the originals.

1976RD400C

I agree you wired it right. Something else is causing the light not to work. Does the motor have a good ground?
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Striker1423

Ground the motor in more than one spot. Be redundant about it. 

m in sc

all good advice.

and, make sure bulb is ok.

:burnout:

NYSingh

Well, the stupidest mistakes are sometimes the easiest to fix. 

Turns out I was just sitting in a false neutral between gears - rocked the bike back and forth and dropped to actual neutral and the light came on as it should.  But still glad I asked the question here since you guys confirmed my wiring was done correctly, so thought to double check the basic stuff before chasing imaginary gremlins.
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

pidjones

Don't feel so bad. I've done similar on GL1000s.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

motulman

supertunes vape install instructions call for about 3 grounds including the engine, but you fixed it  so kudos for you