Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

WTF? "eccentric pin and selector fork shaft retainer"

Started by pdxjim, March 05, 2019, 09:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Trying to strip my grungy LC cases all the way down so I can get them blasted clean.

This f*%ker has got me stumped:

Of course, Mr Haynes makes it seem like no big deal, but after bending over the tab and getting after it with a 17mm and a flat screwdriver, I can't figure it out.

WTF?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

e30 gangsta

teazer

I think that the nut is a lock nut and that the central peg/bolt is eccentric.  It is turned one way or the other to centralize the pin between the legs of teh hairspring gearchange spring.

Loosen the nut and it should allow the pin to rotate.

retaRD

I'd just leave it in.  Cleaning won't hurt it. 
How are you having them blasted?

pdxjim

Quote from: retaRD on March 05, 2019, 11:57:33 PM
I'd just leave it in.  Cleaning won't hurt it. 
How are you having them blasted?

Need to remove it to get the shift drum and shift forks out.  Tempted to leave it and just get the top half of the case blasted.  Cant see the bottom case when it's all together anyway.

My machinist says he can blast with "super fine media" that gives a similar finish to vapor blast and won't erode the mating surfaces, etc.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Jspooner

Pretty sure it's like Teazer said, break the nut loose and then the post will screw out. If I remember right mine was tighter than fuck too.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

Quote from: Jspooner on March 06, 2019, 12:49:51 AM
Pretty sure it's like Teazer said, break the nut loose and then the post will screw out. If I remember right mine was tighter than fuck too.

Well, I went down to the basement and brain fucked it a bit more, and I'm pretty sure your both right.  Yes tight AF, as are all the fasteners inside the case that haven't been messed with since they were assembled 40 years ago.  :bang:

Will shine the heat gun on it for awhile and see what happens.

Jspooner

Sounds like it's time for a long breaker bar or an air impact.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

Harbor Freight heat gun not shown.

oxford

Quote from: pdxjim on March 06, 2019, 12:27:20 AM
My machinist says he can blast with "super fine media" that gives a similar finish to vapor blast and won't erode the mating surfaces, etc.

I would be interested in what he uses for media and how it turns out.  I had my 350 cases vapor blasted and the finish looks amazing.  I don't think dry blasting could duplicate the finish although I am not all that familiar with what medias are out there.