Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Tabbed washer alternative

Started by STLMike, February 22, 2024, 11:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLMike

I'm starting to assemble some odds and ends. I'm bolting up the rear sprocket and am wondering if there is a good alternative to what I'll call the "tabbed washer" that gets bent up against the bolt? I really don't want to use it.

Kawtriplefreak

I have used nylock nuts in the past. You definitely do not want the sprocket attach bolts to come loose. It could be hazardous to your health.

85RZwade

Safety wire has that exotic racer look  :whistle:
I post waayyy too much

bitzz

Thread locker, lock washers, Nylocks, safety wire, spike the nuts, or MY favorite: Jam nuts

m in sc

STLMike

These are great suggestions but the rear sprocket takes bolts, not nuts. I guess lock washers and blue loctite

rodneya

I had one of those come loose on my ride home from work and it ate right through the axle adjuster. Probably my fault for not bending the locking tab enough. Blue locktite for me now

svgarage

Quote from: STLMike on February 23, 2024, 07:28:09 PMThese are great suggestions but the rear sprocket takes bolts, not nuts. I guess lock washers and blue loctite
You can still safety wire it.
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

Kawtriplefreak

My mistake. I will have to look. I think it was a Kaw Triple fir nylocks.

DesmoDrew

I put studs in my hub.  Probably got them from McMaster.  They 'usually' have a longer and shorter threaded side, with a non-threaded area in the middle.  I threaded the longer side into the hub, with locktite.  The non-threaded area makes the sprocket nice and snug.  For nuts, I use genuine Yamaha nuts from an R6, R1, etc.  They are 10mm and have 'Fuji Locks'.  That is the metal type of locking mechanism inside the nut.  They are reusable (nylocks are supposed to be only used once  :whistle: ) and used genuine Yamaha sets are cheap and plentiful on ebay.  You can also get lots of swanky different colors aftermarket (that's why there are lots of original sets for sale  :thumbs: )

sav0r

Studs with jet nuts is my go to. Jet nuts are basically always my go to. They are expensive though.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

STLMike

Ended going with some tooth washers and orange loctite. It's what I had on hand. I do like those nord lock washers though.