Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rectifier/Regulator?

Started by LMS, January 29, 2023, 09:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMS

Looking at pictures online I can't compare this to any other rectifier/regulator, does anyone know what model this is? If so, is it beneficial to move to one from Ricks, etc?
Thx.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

m in sc

not really. that is an Oregon one, older one I think. 

LMS

Bingo! Makes sense as this bike came from the PNW.
Thx. again.

m in sc

lol. thats just the company name.

they have changed them since, probably realized you can just use a sohc CB750 one and repin it to do the same thing. Ive run those before, they are good units. I have no idea where they were made though.

teazer

I had a later one on a GT750 and it worked just fine.  My go-to place used to be Electrosport bu I just had one DOA new out of the box so I am now fitting http://sparckmoto.com/Products/Charging-and-Regulators on all my bikes.

With an electromagnet I use their 12v 3 phase unit.  Ask Matthew at SparkMoto to fit the right plugs and you will get the right unit at a great price. At least that has been my experience.

m in sc

intersting. im going hit him up for an rr for my 67 kaw1 w a 6v system, its a huge pia.

LMS

Quote from: m in sc on January 30, 2023, 11:38:44 AM
lol. thats just the company name.

they have changed them since, probably realized you can just use a sohc CB750 one and repin it to do the same thing. Ive run those before, they are good units. I have no idea where they were made though.

I know. I bought this bike from a guy who lived in Washington. He bought it from a guy who lived in Oregon and those are made in Oregon. Pure speculation, but like myself, if I can I try to buy local. No idea if that is the reason why, but he also raved about this company: RB Designs who does work for him.
This bike also has a wasted spark ignition (crane fireball) on it that I think you came up with, or maybe someone else on this board that goes by, Mark. When I changed the Clutch cable, I saw it and didn't know what I was looking at. It starts in reverse at times from what the previous owners said. I'll create another thread about it, take some pictures, hopefully you can shed some light. I read a few posts about the openings maybe not being big enough. Heck, I don't know, but if my son rides and it happens, lord only knows how that might go.
Thanks again for all your help!

LMS

Quote from: teazer on January 30, 2023, 02:17:21 PM
I had a later one on a GT750 and it worked just fine.  My go-to place used to be Electrosport bu I just had one DOA new out of the box so I am now fitting http://sparckmoto.com/Products/Charging-and-Regulators on all my bikes.

With an electromagnet I use their 12v 3 phase unit.  Ask Matthew at SparkMoto to fit the right plugs and you will get the right unit at a great price. At least that has been my experience.

I saw these during my search, great price. But unless it states for a rd350, it's out of my comfort zone right now. I'm all about plug and play until I figure out wtf I'm doing.
I'll stick with the one on the bike for now.
Thanks!

m in sc

Quote from: LMS on January 30, 2023, 09:17:06 PM

This bike also has a wasted spark ignition (crane fireball) on it that I think you came up with, or maybe someone else on this board that goes by, Mark. When I changed the Clutch cable, I saw it and didn't know what I was looking at. It starts in reverse at times from what the previous owners said. I'll create another thread about it, take some pictures, hopefully you can shed some light. I read a few posts about the openings maybe not being big enough. Heck, I don't know, but if my son rides and it happens, lord only knows how that might go.
Thanks again for all your help!

that was me. looking at the slots, you need to open them up in the clockwise direction as you are facing it. about 5 degrees. this leaves the leading edge alone and increases the dwell. this must have been an early rotor i machined. more like this. (brass one)

the 1st ones i sent out were all aluminum w a straight slot. i learned quickly i needed to v-them. i made a bunch of rotors (somewhere around 250) and sent them out for cost of shipping, they were made out of leftover aluminum bar ends we used to machine hydraulic filter housings out of. . at the time the only other option widely known about  was newtronics and chinoy ignitions, both of which were crap in my opinion at the time.
that was around... 2006-8 or so.

nice to hear there's still some out there.  :haw:

LMS

lll take some pics, but mine sure looked like it was homemade, but that was a few months ago and I wasn't really paying attention. Do you still provide this cause I'm pretty sure mine is a washer welded onto a bolt. Kind of like this...

m in sc

pretty sure thats one of mine. it should all be 1pc aluminum.
just set the timing to 1.8mm btdc.

:patriot:

LMS

Ill post a pic of mine when it warms up, or when I can safely hang out in the garage more than 10 minutes. Right now, it's 3 degrees.