Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Intermittent turn signals dare I say fixed 1975 RD350

Started by Kawtriplefreak, June 27, 2021, 06:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

After the voltage regulator change I was still experiencing intermittent operation of the turn signals. Blip the throttle and they would work. The next intersection it was a 50/50 that they would work again. I cleaned the contacts and put a dab of dielectric grease on the LH switch contacts and again thought I had solved it. Then I changed out the switch with a nearly NOS switch I bought off EBay for $20 and took loose, cleaned and checked all the connections coming from the switch and was ready to take all 4 turn signals off and stomp them after I put everything back together and no LH turn signals at all. ( I assume that is why the eBay vendor sold it for $20) So I changed the switch back to my previously cleaned and greased switch and still experienced intermittent operation. Next I pulled the gas tank and noted both of the flasher connectors that I had cannibalized from a Ford F250 parts truck were loose and contacting the RH throttle cable lower moving said wires every time the throttle is moved. The turn signal flasher is a no load from NAPA installed per another turn signal thread here and it is less than 6 months old.
That's what I get for using Ford parts on a Yamaha. I replaced the Ford connectors with some Harbor Freight made in China connectors and routed the wiring so it doesn't touch the throttle cables and cranked it up. Everything worked perfect. Reinstalled the headlight bucket that I took one side loose on to access the wiring and gave it one last check and the LH rear turn signal was inop.  :bang:  I verified the bulb and ground were good by unhooking the LH rear turn signal green wire and powering it up direct from the battery. Then I verified no power in the green feed wire coming through the harness from up front. I did however have power going into the 4 way connector that feeds said green wire. I went to my 74 RD parts bike and cut the same 4 way connector out of that harness and installed it on the 75 and all the signals work now. I put the gas tank back on. Fired and ran on the 1st kick and all the lights work. I even have good turn signal operation at idle now which I have never had. Thanks to M in SC for telling me to check the flasher and Frank B for the help.