Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RZ Banshee shift shaft fail

Started by rodneya, July 13, 2022, 11:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Riding home from work end of last month, the day before a long weekend here, I got stuck in 5 gear about 15 min ride from home. Made for a really fun ride, but some careful route planning got me home without having to stop. Pissed off a few cars on the process.

The end of my shift shaft that engages the shift star had popped off and jammed .

I have never checked a shift shaft before for anything other than grooving where the seal runs, but the but the end that moves the shift star was very wobbly at the rivet and the little spring felt weak.

Took way longer than expected for Partzilla to ship the parts. Not sure whats up there, but I think it is my last order there.

New shift shaft has no play and the spring felt stronger. Put it all back together and its shifting smooth and I can actually find neutral standing still in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Striker1423

Weird break, but glad you got it sorted!

soonerbillz

Maybe the previous owner was one for slamming the shifter.
I would check all the other parts too.

rodneya

I posted on a Banshee site, and it seems to be quite a common problem. It doesnt take much slop in that part for it to be able to slide past the shift star pins.

Vintagetz

The RZ system is not as good as the RD, the detents can make it hard on the pawl, which would loosen the rivet/pivot.  The guys that stomp shifts tear them up (not accusing you of this) I reduce/round the peaks on the star wheel.

There is a modified shift drum that some of the road racers run, it puts neutral all the way at the bottom,  it can be a struggle to get the bike in neutral when you grid up, stalling on the grid is VERY bad... you get to start last. 

Evans Ward

Hey, I have a bike with neutral at the bottom! 72 Kawasaki H2 Triple.  :whistle: But... it would be tough getting used to that shift pattern on my (or anyones?) Yamaha Twin!  :omg:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV