Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

GT380 fuel problem

Started by Organicjedi, January 05, 2020, 12:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Organicjedi

My buddy's GT380 is showing signs of a fuel issue. It's dropping some gas, cold blooded, and has quit on him when riding. Seems like it's flooding somewhere.

He's suspecting an issue with the vaccum petcock and is considering a mod that just makes it flow. I'm wondering if its a stuck needle or another carb issue.

Any ideas on what to check? I'm not familiar with these.

Old Brit

Check with the Guys that use this UK forum http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/viewforum.php?f=2 where there's a section for the smaller Suzy triples, I'm sure they'll be happy to help 👍

Barrie

It's a float needle problem, check float heights and the valve themselves, nothing to do with the vac tap.
See if you can replace the float valve assemblies for a equivalent with viton tips.
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

m in sc

I'd go full manual petcock if he can

1976RD400C

I suppose if the vacuum petcock has some sort of a rupture it could leak or suck raw fuel down the vacuum hose to the motor.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

quocle603

I believe a lot of the tapped threads are the same for suzuki and can use a lot of petcocks as an option. Vaccum petcocks are a pia at times
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Barrie

Your all just frightened by things you don't understand and can't work out how to test.
:bang:
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

Jspooner

Quote from: Barrie on January 05, 2020, 10:33:36 AM
Your all just frightened by things you don't understand and can't work out how to test.

PM sent
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

the o ring can get old and seep, or the diaphragm can warp and/or leak. either way, sucking fuel through the diaphragm IS possible, but usually has more to do with the plunger o-ring not sealing. the downside is it can cause the carbs to over flow, or worse, allow it to seep into the motor and hydrolock.  Been there, seen it, done it.  On my concours (the only bike i currently have with a vacuum petock, the rest were changed to manual ones) I have an inline valve as well to cut off when i park it. The vacuum petock does work fine, but they DO go over time. Especially with modern fuels.  :twocents: 

Jspooner

I worked on a GT250 with the same problem. Found a manual petcock on eBay and problem solved. Couldn't find one with the exact bolt spacing but it was close enough that all I had to do was open the holes up a couple of sizes and it worked.

Organicjedi

Quote from: Jspooner on January 05, 2020, 01:23:28 PM
I worked on a GT250 with the same problem. Found a manual petcock on eBay and problem solved. Couldn't find one with the exact bolt spacing but it was close enough that all I had to do was open the holes up a couple of sizes and it worked.

Any idea which petcock you bought?

Jspooner

I'll find it and send you the link.

Old Brit

Quote from: Barrie on January 05, 2020, 10:33:36 AM
Life would be so simple, if maybe a tad boring, if the rest of us were as smart as you  :notworthy:

Organicjedi

He's going to try to either mod the current petcock or get a gravity fed one that fits. Thanks for the suggestions.