Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

MZB/powerdynamo with no battery?

Started by oxford, July 06, 2019, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxford

I know it says in the instructions that the MZB is ok with no battery and I wasn't planning on using one but in the real world will I need a battery on the rd350 and this ignition?  I don't think it makes a difference but this is the dynamic unit not the static.

Jspooner

I have the static unit on my TZ replica and it is fine with no battery. I only have a head light and tail light though so I don't know how it would act at idle with turn signals. I'm betting it would be fine though. I can't imagine the dynamic unit you have would be any different.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

oxford

Thanks, this is going to be bare bones on the electrical side of things as well.

Dvsrd

The stock RD ignition lock will not work with the MZB  without a battery and relay. Just use an ignition lock from a bike with a magneto ignition, eiter points or cdi. Basically almost any 2 stroke single.

bracket maker

Quote from: Dvsrd on July 07, 2019, 12:27:06 AM
The stock RD ignition lock will not work with the MZB  without a battery and relay. Just use an ignition lock from a bike with a magneto ignition, eiter points or cdi. Basically almost any 2 stroke single.

easily bypassed with a 3$ 20a toggle? you are going to run a hidden kill anyway?

run without a battery and don't look back. you will be so happy you did. use the kicker!

the mbz is well engineered. I'm sure it has a dedicated lighting that has nothing to do with the ignition side. not having enough power or not running turn signals to save power is stupid. lights today use barely any power. led turn signals for motorcycles are integrated if you want minimal. old turn signal bulbs are 5w. old signal flashers are 5w. that's 15w just to signal a turn. (front turn signal, back turn signal, flasher) as opposed to less than 1w with led's for the same action. 1157,1156 cob led's (the bright ones) are 0.2w. besides needing a different flasher they are plug and play. you want less load and more power cob led's are the answer.

electronics have gotten to the point where I can even street legal light a bike that has no lighting coil without stator changes. the answer is to lighten the load. how? subvert blinky bicycle crap. have you seen how fucking bright these headlights that run on 3aaa batteries are. you cut out the blinkey board and just use the headlight. the wiring is so fine it makes 22 guage look cable thick.

I can steal 3aaa batteries worth of power from an 80v ignition coil without any problem to ignition.
HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

m in sc

you can use a stock rd switch, but you need to locate the 2 contacts that connect with the key off. then solder on a another lead (im pretty sure theres a set of contacts that do this.  Id also run a bar switch,  but im pretty sure you can do this to kill the bike and keep it keyed.

the mzb puts out 200w of power lighting, running w/out a battery isnt a problem. however, if you want to run a zeeltronic, you need to run a battery of some sort to power the box before it fires.

:twocents: