Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Ok guys clutch recommendations ..

Started by Fastash, April 16, 2019, 09:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastash

This bike is a early RD 350 and was truly a basket case or should i say several baskets . This is my first RD ground up build and just trying to learn as i go . Looking at this clutch basket my first thought is that there is no way that i should start with a friction plate due to the lack of surface area for it to mate to . Now after reading stuff on the internet i am totally confused . Different combinations of clutch plate thickness etc . All of my friction plates are 3.0mm and steels are flat and no signs of hot spots (bluing). Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance . Ashley
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning !

Jspooner

What year RD is it. They differ in different years. Can't tell if that bottom plate is part of the hub or if it's a plate on its own.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

SUPERTUNE

Yes, You are correct that you have a early model with a 6 plate clutch like the R5's.
If you measure all of your steel plates there's one steel plate that is thicker than the other 5 steel plates.
(Early 6 plate clutches use 6 steels and 6 fibers)
This thicker steel must go in first on the hub, then start fiber, then steel, fiber, etc. finish with fiber, then pressure plate then, springs and spring bolts.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Fastash

Wow that was quick , thanks guys ...
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning !

Jspooner

Chuck apparently has better eyes than I do.  :nana: I didn't see it at first. I can now that chuck pointed it out, and he is absolutely right.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: Jspooner on April 16, 2019, 10:24:34 PM
Chuck apparently has better eyes than I do.  :nana: I didn't see it at first. I can now that chuck pointed it out, and he is absolutely right.
I'm old (NO) and use  my own computer I built with a overclocked intel I5, asus 970 video card and a big "27 acer monitor!
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com