Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

YR2 air filters

Started by Zonda, February 23, 2019, 12:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zonda

Hi all, and it's good to be back on the 2S forum again.
My YR2 is in need of air filters, the originals are falling apart, apparently paper doesn't last for ever! I've taken the paper element off one and was hoping that I could just wrap the original wire inner support with filter foam and be on the road again, but the inner wire is not strong enough to support the foam and also maintain a seal on the inlet side. I'm looking at replacing the wire mesh with mesh from a truck filter but before I do. Has anyone else been down this road and what was the outcome/solution conversely are new (or NOS) filters available?

m in sc

ive done similar, cant remember which bike. is the screen THAT fragile? it does sound like a good plan though. have you tied speed and sport iin pA? they have plenty of oddball NOS stuff. it snot cheap, but might be OK.

Zonda

Quote from: m in sc on February 23, 2019, 12:42:46 AM
ive done similar, cant remember which bike. is the screen THAT fragile? it does sound like a good plan though. have you tied speed and sport iin pA? they have plenty of oddball NOS stuff. it snot cheap, but might be OK.
Yep it's like fly screen :eek: I'll try Speed and Sport :thumbs:

Evans Ward

I have one decent used one for sale on eBay. Paper is intact and should work as intended. If you are interested, I could  end the listing. $18 shipped to you if you are in the US or plus actual shipping international.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

2 Stroke Jamoke

I took to pod filters I had for an xs 650 and ran a piece of threaded rod thru and squeezed them together in the airbox, worked like a charm!

Zonda

Quote from: Evans Ward on February 23, 2019, 07:51:59 AM
I have one decent used one for sale on eBay. Paper is intact and should work as intended. If you are interested, I could  end the listing. $18 shipped to you if you are in the US or plus actual shipping international.
Thanks for the kind offer, but I'd still need to find another one and I was hoping for a more permanent fix.

Zonda

Quote from: 2 Stroke Jamoke on February 23, 2019, 09:09:22 AM
I took to pod filters I had for an xs 650 and ran a piece of threaded rod thru and squeezed them together in the airbox, worked like a charm!
Ok that's what I was hoping for! I've now been searching the web for different size pod filters, of which there are many.
Did you leave the original filter outer "lid" in place or just let it breath through there?

2 Stroke Jamoke

Heres a picture of the air filter set up, it is an easy mod

m in sc

we did something very similar to a buddys GT550 years ago, still runs great.  :clap:

Zonda

Quote from: 2 Stroke Jamoke on March 06, 2019, 04:29:11 PM
Heres a picture of the air filter set up, it is an easy mod
Mate sorry for not replying as the link to this forum is really weird and I haven't been able to get on! Thanks for the picture that really clears it up, I've bought two similar pods (look smaller than yours :eek:) and will do a similar set up as you have done :clap:

Unfortunately I've been delayed by this!

2 Stroke Jamoke

That's a good delay! That's definitely one of the best upgrades you can do to your yr. I have the power dynamo as well. Your going to have a great bike!

2 Stroke Jamoke

Did I send you some pistons?

Zonda

Quote from: 2 Stroke Jamoke on March 08, 2019, 12:10:18 PM
Did I send you some pistons?
Yes you did! How's the tank badges going?

Zonda

Well I wasn't entirely happy with the pod filters and though that there must be a better way, so....

I visited my local filter supplier (he deals in heavy equipment filters for truck and mining equipment) he's a very helpful chap that often has to find the imposable!

I spent around an hour with his books and the internet parts finder he uses and came up with these, he had a similar used one in the bin and I played at shaping it to form a "D" and it worked.

These are the right inner and outer diameter :clap: a couple of mm shorter and a better (cleanable) filter material, in all, almost spot on but round!

So two Baldwin PA1875 air filters (used in some Bosch compressor) were ordered and a week later I started making YR air filters!

Firstly I used some liquid paint striper on the original filters as they are glued into the two end plates, you could chisel them out and clean it up with a small disc sander, but this was an overnight soaking job they came off really easy the next day.

The original minus the filter paper

The Baldwin filters

With some careful manipulating, as it's soft alloy, filter paper and silicon rubber, I was able to form them into a "D" shape similar to the originals.

The end plates cleaned up nicely (I'd re-plate them if doing it again) and I used industrial contact adhesive the glue them together, which doesn't work that well as the filters have silicon mating surfaces and nothing really likes to stick to silicon :eek: but it stuck well enough. I fitted a 12mm foam seal to the end which is to thick but crushes down fine (it crushes down around 6mm), in hind sight I should have used the 9mm foam as it would be perfect.

Once fitted they are compressed by the clips, so the glue really doesn't need to do anything more than hold them together for fitment and the pressure from the clips etc does the rest.

With the foam fitted and the ends sprayed with some silver paint to make them look nice!

really hard to see but it fits the opening perfectly and has the same (if not more) gap around the edge as the original

You could us some silicone sealant to hold them together but.....

Cheers
Rod

MjorneR3

Looks great! I have a Yamaha R3 1969 and I need to do something with my old air filters. Are your new air filters still going strong?

Thanks for sharing  :whoop:
//Christian