News:

Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Clutch adjustment or just more practice?

Started by Membername, November 03, 2019, 02:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Membername

Hi guys.  I've been riding my 400c around the neighborhood and I am having trouble keeping it from dying from a stop.  At first I thought I just needed to get used to the throttle/clutch interplay but it's not getting much better and I never had issues with my TU250 (although it's a completely different animal).  After it dies it fires right back up.  Is there some clutch or throttle adjustment that will help or is it just a matter of practice?

K

Striker1423

It just does at a stop? Well, what do you have the idle set at? If it's set too low, and the clutch engages slightly it can stall.

Membername

Idle is set at 1200.  It stalls when I start from a stop (sometimes).  It's difficult to manage the clutch/throttle interplay when starting for some reason.

Striker1423

Well you need to give these bikes a bit of throttle to get them going. So yea it might be from that.

SUPERTUNE

What pilot jet size are you running?
What air screw opening are you set at?
With ethanol based fuels you CANNOT run stock jetting even if the bike is all stock including the baffled paper air filter.

27.5 or 30 is needed on today's fuel at the pump.
No less that a 120 or 125 on the main jet also.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Organicjedi

These things do need some revs to get going compared to a 4 stroke and there is a bit of an art form for a great take off. But they do give you some grace if you are a little off with the clutch. You should be able to play with the friction zone without it killing.

You could always try to up the idle to closer to 1500. But there's a good chance going a little fatter on the low end circuit like Chuck said would help.

My 400 was more touchy before the resto mod. It was completley stock then.Sounds a lot like what you're talking about.

Membername

The pilot jet is 27.5 and the main is 120. I will try setting the idle to 1400 and see if that helps. The air screw is at 1 1/4 out from fully seated.  Should I try adjusting the air screw? 

SUPERTUNE

I would try a 30 pilot, then go out to 2 turns on the air screw.
Yes, I like keep the idle up on the high side using this setup.
C

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

m in sc

agreed, sounds lean down low.

you can test this by turning the mixture screw IN half to 3/4 a turn see if its better. If its an improvement, pilot jet time.
Also, verify float level. IF its its too low, the pilots can starve

To the other point...how much clutch lever freeplay do you have, hot , at idle? should only be a few mm at the gap between the lever and the perch. (assuming you are dragging the clutch, which is what I think you were alluding to. )

:twocents:

SUPERTUNE

When I have another bike in the shop I'll do anther HOW TO for clutch setup and adjustments.
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

Membername

I have 2-3mm of freeplay at the clutch lever, but I checked this with the bike off.  Do I need to make this adjustment with the bike idling?

Ok I am going to:
1. Move idle to 1400, see if it improves.
2. Screw in air screw 1/2 turn, see if it improves.  If it does, move to 30 pilot jet and 2 turns out on air screws.

K