Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Powder coating?

Started by Stoked2smoke, November 01, 2022, 11:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoked2smoke

My frame is already powder coated black but I want to de-tang it and fix a few things.  Can I have those areas powder coated or does the whole frame need to be stripped down and fully recoated?  Thanks all.

m in sc

i would guess they would need to strip the whole frame. ive never heard of spot repairs.

SoCal250

Quote from: m in sc on November 03, 2022, 01:17:49 PM
i would guess they would need to strip the whole frame. ive never heard of spot repairs.
Ditto
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

rdshaw

Have fun
I know you are sick of me saying it,
Don't powdercoat frames
It doesn't take me 8 hours to do a day's work

Hawaii-Mike

I would sand down the affected areas, primer and paint to match the powdercoat. 

Stoked2smoke

Unfortunately it was already powered coated when I first purchased it. I just figured for wear and tear it was best. How much could it cost to be chemically stripped. I will have it painted or I will paint it. I'm not scared. Was going to paint my sons bmx frame this winter so it would be good practice. I also have good connection at a body shop. Probably knock off some weight.

m in sc

i'll only powdercoat a frame if i -know- im not going to modify it & don't care about original finish. overall i dont like it in most cases, I typically prefer paint, but did my t500 and its been really, really good.

rodneya

Powdercoat comes off quite easily with acetone, but soaking a frame is difficult. rags soaked and wrapped arounf parts will work but time coinsuming.

Most people think powdercoat is the be all finish as it is very tough, but dont know that gas spills can ruin the finish.
@k paint is my proffered way to do it as it is also very hard wearing, fuel resistant and easy to touch up. My projects never seem to finish and Im always changing things even years later.

m in sc

there are different powder coatings for different applications, just fyi, they are not all created equal.