News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Turning Wrenches / Re: Carb/choke question
Last post by RDDave - May 27, 2024, 08:59:53 PM
OKAY, with the help of this board; I THINK I GOT IT!

But first, you have to promise not to laugh. What I thought was an emulsion tube protruding from the main well on my extra carb turned out to be a pilot jet somebody had screwed in and tightened.

Now, I completely disassembled both my original carb and the extra carb. Went over every piece with a magnifying glass, blew brake clean through all the orifices, compared everything side by side and swapped everything possible from the extra carb to the original. Plus, I spent extra time with the choke assembly. I didn't do anything with the right carb or anything else on that cylinder.

Put the carb back on the bike, and at start up, the idle was way high.....too lean. Okay, that's a difference right off the bat. Took it for a 15 minute ride spending time at all throttle positions. It is crisper and the idle is still too high. Got back to the shop with both cylinders running. Another good sign. So, I checked the temps and lo and behold the left was hotter than the right. 208 to 190. Pulled the left plug and it was white. Obviously too lean. But given that I had pulled as much fuel as I could with the adjustments, that is to be expected, NOW THAT THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED. YAHOO!

I hate it when I change several things at a time and in doing so, fix the problem but do not know for sure what actually was the problem. But I was frustrated and just wanted to move forward. So, here is my suspicion on what was and is going on:

Either the pilot was too large or the choke was holding open on that left cylinder. That was why that cylinder was colder and fouled that plug. With the left cylinder down on power, the right was working harder, bringing it's temp up. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Now, the right cylinder is colder than the left because it is not working as hard anymore dragging the left. The left now is too lean due to me pulling as much fuel out as I could so it's temp has gone up.

I will readjust everything now and that should bring it all in. I do want to add fuel BEFORE I ride it any more because it is too lean.

Thanks guys. I wonder how long it would have taken me to get this lined out without your input? Maybe never. You gave me plenty to think about.
Show Off / Re: New arrival
Last post by busa1300 - May 27, 2024, 07:55:54 PM
Quote from: 2 Smoker on May 27, 2024, 11:17:07 AMNice find...Did you know someone buried an RZ350 in your shop  :patriot:

:whistle:  :thumbs:

Quote from: 85RZwade on May 27, 2024, 11:49:56 AM:shocked: shots fired!
Your point is well taken; the weather has been almost nice enough to ride to work and I should dig it out today.

At least get it closer to the doorway out  :thumbs:
Last post by RDDave - May 27, 2024, 07:15:55 PM
I need to post a pic of the extra carb. The emulsion tube in the main well protrudes out to where the main jet from the original carb won't fit. I don't know if that is correct for that carb or not.

I will check for the free play in the choke lever. Judging by the lock tab, it was original and had not been apart. Until now.

And I had thought about the low compression. Both cylinders are the same, within a couple of pounds. I wonder if one can act this way but not the other?

I will check these suggestions out hopefully tomorrow and maybe get a couple of pics and figure out how to post them of the original carb and the extra that I have. I would like to swap them to test. The emulsion tube protruding out is the only hold up that I can see. Other than that, the carbs appear identical. But the extra carb was in with a bunch of spare parts so I don't know it's lineage.

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said before, the bike starts and runs very good. I just need to find and fix this plug fouling.
Haus of Projects / Re: Yamaha YA-1 Resurrection
Last post by Bryan H - May 27, 2024, 03:26:50 PM
Good luck with that Warren. You've got to be in it to win it....or so the saying goes. Here's a couple of pics I took in 2017 when I was lucky enough to visit the Yamaha Communications Plaza in Iwata whilst on holiday

Turning Wrenches / Re: Discolored piston
Last post by Aloha808 - May 27, 2024, 01:54:41 PM
@RDnuTZ-checked the trans fluid.  Looks good.  The coolant that came out or the radiator was also good.

Definitely not rushing it.  This will be the third time trying to fix this leak.  Not fun.

Quote from: m in sc on May 26, 2024, 04:37:24 PMweird they are not the same. but i wouldn't sweat it. is the RH crank seal fresh-ish?

I thought the same thing. 

I did not rebuild this motor.  However, all seals should be new.  Although, the leak I am dealing with came with this newly rebuilt motor.  So, ???
Last post by KANDY - May 27, 2024, 01:04:28 PM
Just a thought, at 95 psi compression, could there be losing ignition on one cylinder because of blowby.
General Chatter / Re: Cicada's
Last post by soonerbillz - May 27, 2024, 12:27:42 PM
Just a heads up
 Be careful in the evenings while the cicadas are emerging.
 Copperheads love the cicada larvae and will be very active in that time.  They will be around trees waiting for a quick snack and will be numerous.
Show Off / Re: New arrival
Last post by 85RZwade - May 27, 2024, 11:49:56 AM
:shocked: shots fired!
Your point is well taken; the weather has been almost nice enough to ride to work and I should dig it out today.
General Chatter / Re: Airtech Streamlining Closi...
Last post by rideitfast - May 27, 2024, 11:25:04 AM
It's sad to see them go. I just saw that SUDCO is closing too.
Show Off / Re: lunchtime swapout
Last post by 2 Smoker - May 27, 2024, 11:21:37 AM
White walls and all, great looking bike