News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Looking for replacement carburetor advice (RD400)

Started by ElFuegoBlanco, August 06, 2020, 08:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElFuegoBlanco

I'm in the process of restoring a '76 RD400. Early on, I managed to destroy one of the carburetors. It was a stupid thing to do, but basically I thrashed the pilot jet threads beyond repair. I've been told that there's nothing that can be done for it. I'm embarrassed by the whole thing.

So I'm left with one working carburetor and need some options. It looks like a replacement from e-Bay isn't really one of them, from what I'm seeing. I'm not looking for additional power or anything like that. Just a running bike. I'd like to keep the oil pump and keep everything as simple as possible.

I see Economy sells a replacement set with oil ports, replacement cable, and jetting for $349.95 – $379.95. That's a little on the pricier side for my budget. What else can I do?

The details- Expansion chambers (unknown brand), currently no airbox (planning on using a 350 Y-boot), everything else is stock.

Any advice would be great.
Rob

m in sc

I may have a decent left and right body, not sure, bit dont count on it. il look later.

ElFuegoBlanco

I should have mentioned it's the right-side that I screwed up.

Quote from: m in sc on August 06, 2020, 08:41:45 AM
I may have a decent left and right body, not sure, bit dont count on it. il look later.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Man, that carb on e-Bay is rough! Do you think that would clean up? I'd be a little nervous about it.

m in sc

paul1478

If Mark does not have them, i have a set from my 76 with the dave F mod. new brass from Chuck a few years ago. jeted for  Y-boot and DG pipes stock porting.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: paul1478 on August 06, 2020, 09:18:10 AM
If Mark does not have them, i have a set from my 76 with the dave F mod. new brass from Chuck a few years ago. jeted for  Y-boot and DG pipes stock porting.

Thanks! I'll follow up with you soon

Quote from: m in sc on August 06, 2020, 09:09:16 AM
ive saved way worse

This might be my cheapest option. If you think it's salvageable. If you happen to have one you're willing to part with, please let me know. I'd rather go with a known good carb over one in "For parts or not working" condition.

RDFL

If Mark doesn't have one another member Halmic might.

Yamaha 179

I believe I have one RD 400 right side carb still in the Yamaha box sitting on the shelf. If you are interested let me know and I'll get it out and look at it. 
Lyn Garland
vintspclty@aol.com

m in sc

yup, have one. standalone RH 76-77-78 carb body, NO BRASS, airjet stock, has had brass ball removed for cleaning though.

carb is clean, comes with:

body
bowl
gasket (used, stuck on body, but good)
float
idle stop screw

thats it. nothing else, but its good. let me know, i'll bring to work and i can ship out. I assume you are in the us?

PM me, i'll take pics.

m in sc

was cleaned before stored like 10? years ago. the LH one i think went to friend with a CZ i think.  cant remember.

^ will need airbox to bowl fitting if going back 100% stock with the airbox lines

it take 50 shipped ups in USA. can go out today if i hear early back enough. If not, monday,.

-Mark

ElFuegoBlanco

Quote from: m in sc on August 07, 2020, 10:37:39 AM
was cleaned before stored like 10? years ago. the LH one i think went to friend with a CZ i think.  cant remember.

it take 50 shipped ups in USA. can go out today if i hear early back enough. If not, monday,.

-Mark

Thanks Mark. I sent you a PM.

Thanks to everyone for advice and offers. Much appreciated. Hopefully one step closer to getting on the road.

Rob

m in sc

ElFuegoBlanco

m in sc