rod2" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

The Red Scourge

'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

m in sc

man it happens quick sometimes. holy cow.

that needs to be a lamp base.

pidjones

"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Clem710

Hey, didnt punch a whole through anything :smiley:

Kawtriplefreak

A couple of good licks with the swing press and a new bearing and it will be good to go. Heat it up cherry red 1st.... :olaf: :olaf:

teazer

That will buff out.  No worries M8.

Not the worst I have seen.  A have a very special three piece TZ con rod here that's a nice companion for the two piece valves from one of our CB160 racers that the rider thought was OK to ride round half of Road America.  That one came with a special lightweight ventilated piston crown. 

TZ rod had a slight bend from a leaky fuel tap and roller starter combo and as it rubbed on the flywheel it reached failure temps pretty quickly before it broke out for fresh air.  The giveaway was the pile of roller bearings in the fairing belly pan.  :whistle:

1976RD400C

'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

jb weld and a dremel. and, as timmy said, few whacks w the ol swing press. like newski  :righteous:

old-man

I do not know how to start a new topic.  So, I also bought a RD400C crank on ebay. It came from a low-use engine. I checked the rod bearing play side-to-side. There is no up and down play and checked crank shraightness, replaced the outside bearings and got new seals. After putting engine in the frame, I then noticed that one rod has a pink area on one side at the crank bearing.
Is this bad? I took pics of the other side and other rod. see pics

Striker1423

irk_miller

Steel turns blue at 520°F and purple at 575°F. It becomes incandescent above 800°F.