Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Removing rear wheel bearings

Started by triple1972, October 18, 2019, 03:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple1972

Hello. I am trying to replace rear wheel bearings on 76 RD400. Just need a little help on getting old bearings out. Rim is off bike and has no tire. I am ok buying bearing removal kit if needed. First time doing this. Tried a two finger slide tool but it wouldn't grab well enough between bearing and spacer.

Dxrat

I'll let someone else tell you how to remove them because I just smash them out with a punch from the other side. Don't forget to remove the spacer sleeve from one of the bearings, the kit doesn't come with it and you need it.

Redbird

I have a small HF slide hammer that works about 50% of the time. The other 50% is with Dxrat... BFH and a punch.
"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"

SUPERTUNE

Map gas or a heat gun helps them come out easier.
I do have a special tool for removing them though.
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

mig welder? tack weld a nut to the inner race and tap it out from the other side. this is a good use for crappy hardware you should have thrown out already, and the heat helps as well.  :science:

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: m in sc on October 18, 2019, 09:51:15 AM
mig welder? tack weld a nut to the inner race and tap it out from the other side. this is a good use for crappy hardware you should have thrown out already, and the heat helps as well.  :science:
I do that on some of theses small engines where a bearing is in a blind hole like a TZ250 waterpump bearing, then screw in my slide hammer.
Pops right out.
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

motodreams

Ensure any retaining clips are out, propane or map gas on the hub for a bit then hammer them out with an extension from the other side.  No problem with doing this...If the tube does not allow the tool to bite, pry the tube to one side.  I've found this vs. the correct tool to be about the same hassle.

triple1972

Hello. I actually got the bearings out the primitive way. Push the spacer to the side a tad and hammer out with good punch. I did it at work tonight before I saw the alternative methods posted. Welding on a nut,heat, puller were all better ways. If it was a high end bike or not mine I definitely would have used any one the methods suggested. Thank You!!!!!! Yamaha bearings are still available. I am an OEM guy when available. Are they the way to go on these even if a lot more$?

quocle603

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Organicjedi

I used a flathead screwdriver and hammer to carefully tap the inner sleeve over a little bit. This exposed a slight edge on the bearing. Then I used the screwdriver and hammer to punch out the bearing by tapping on the exposed edge and then working around the bearing once I got it moving.

Essentially, find the seam between the bearing and spacer and carefully tap out the bearing.

Primative, but that's what I had available.

And yes SAVE the spacer that is pressed into the drive side bearing. It's easy to miss and you'll be bummed if you don't have it for assembly.

triple1972

Hi As mentioned I removed rear wheels bearings with good punch! Bought an All Balls rear wheel bearing kit and it came with three bearings? I only removed two! Two of the three bearings were the same size and same part number. Maybe kit covers more than just RD. Anybody use one of the AB's kits?

RDFL

Quote from: triple1972 on October 26, 2019, 04:22:50 PM
Hi As mentioned I removed rear wheels bearings with good punch! Bought an All Balls rear wheel bearing kit and it came with three bearings? I only removed two! Two of the three bearings were the same size and same part number. Maybe kit covers more than just RD. Anybody use one of the AB's kits?
The 350 and many other bikes have a bearing in sprocket carrier.

triple1972

You are right for a 350. This is for a 76' 400 and parts diagram only shows 2 bearings.  I certainly could be wrong!

RDFL

Quote from: triple1972 on October 26, 2019, 05:17:32 PM
You are right for a 350. This is for a 76' 400 and parts diagram only shows 2 bearings.  I certainly could be wrong!
I'm just saying some bikes do that kit fits other bikes, you don't need that bearing.

triple1972

I think you are correct just seems like AB's would be able to make a kit specific to each model. Probably pennies per bearing cost and covers dozens of bikes!