(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

K&N y boot air filter

Started by Naveenreddy, October 25, 2019, 06:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naveenreddy

My rd350 is on 1st os stock pipes with stock baffles and power Dyno kit
It has uni pods filters .carbs set to 25 pilot and 220 mains

I the exhaust note changed to a great extent on pods and i somehow liked the factory airbox with a drop in filter.. i was wondering if k&n makes any better noise?

How is the performance of k&n compared to uni pods?

Can i run same.jetting ?

I see two.filters on economy cycle one is the short k&n standard and other is low profile .. what is the major difference and which of them is better if any part number kindly share

If someone can help me with a video clip of rd350 on y boot k&n it will be helpful

Cheers

Yamaha rd350
Suzuki ax100
Aprilia rsv4

KANDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EapZxvg-yQ

Y Boot & K & N on 1974 RD350

Running on 27.5 Pilot and 300 Main.
1974 RD350
1977 RD400
1979 RD400 Daytona Special

Naveenreddy

Quote from: KANDY on October 25, 2019, 10:03:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EapZxvg-yQ

Y Boot & K & N on 1974 RD350

Running on 27.5 Pilot and 300 Main.

Wow have watched the video it is amazing.. 300 main jets ...🥺 What cdi and any porting

Also which k&n the y boot or drop in .

If y boot can u tel me if it's the standard or low profile
Yamaha rd350
Suzuki ax100
Aprilia rsv4

m in sc

theres only 1 y boot. as far as the filter, well, theres options, ive run the k&n, a uni, and soem knockoff i cant remember where it came from.

yes, the jetting can be anywhere from 250(low end)-300 on the mains with stock carbs. cdi/porting wont affect it -that- much to be honest. I run 330s with unis on a very ported motor, so not that huge of a jump (by comparison). however, for example, on my r5 with a y boot and filter, no airbox, im at around 170? mains.

me? i like individual foam unis.   

IR8D8R

The Y-boot and K&N kits everybody sells don't fit the 350 very well. The top of the filter doesn't fit between the frame rails. There are conical filters available from K&N with the correct opening size that will fit but I didn't want to spend another $60.

I suppose this doesn't affect the filtering any but you'll end up with a slightly crumpled filter when you have to man-handle it in.

Probably Uni's look better. I am not sure that I noticed any increase in performance when I switched. I was told I had the "wrong" Uni. The one with the plastic back. The court of public opinion is harsh but you can go broke in search of perfection.

IR8D8R

m in sc

just long black all foam unis, like 17 bucks each. i have never noticed a performance bias either way vs the 2.

Naveenreddy

This filter seems to be most commonly used if it's k&n

Yamaha rd350
Suzuki ax100
Aprilia rsv4

m in sc

yup. ive used them. ive never had an issue getting it to fit either.  :twocents:

Naveenreddy

This is the conical part no rc2600

I wonder if it has enough lip on the bottom to sit inside the y boot entrance
Yamaha rd350
Suzuki ax100
Aprilia rsv4

Naveenreddy

How different is the red filter from the black one

I currently have the red unis on my bike

Yamaha rd350
Suzuki ax100
Aprilia rsv4

Naveenreddy

Quote from: m in sc on October 25, 2019, 11:35:23 AM
just long black all foam unis, like 17 bucks each. i have never noticed a performance bias either way vs the 2.

This one ?? What sizes and can this run main jets over 250?
Yamaha rd350
Suzuki ax100
Aprilia rsv4

m in sc

take the red cover off, they restrict flow unless you are in a really dusty environment. same filter otherwise.

Naveenreddy

Quote from: m in sc on October 25, 2019, 11:56:21 AM
take the red cover off, they restrict flow unless you are in a really dusty environment. same filter otherwise.

Awesome in that care I'll just work on my jetting and make it better rather than spending on filters

I suppose I am running too low on jetting

25 pilot and 220 mains

My cdi kit is from powerdynamo with those modes to select the power curve any advice on best curve
Yamaha rd350
Suzuki ax100
Aprilia rsv4

gwcrim

I use a 5x3-3/4 Uni and 290 jets seem to work well with Stage 2 porting.  If I were to do it again, I'd use a 4 inch tall filter.  I'm not a huge fan of K&N either.

m in sc

as far as getting you just need to read the plugs, each bike is different