This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Stop Indicator is blinking after LED Conversion

Started by KANDY, April 10, 2019, 02:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KANDY

Hi All,
I changed all bulbs to LED and changed the Flasher to LED Flasher. Every thing is working as it should, but the stop indicator is blinking always, Brake ON or OFF. Please advise
Thanks
1974 RD350
1977 RD400
1979 RD400 Daytona Special

m in sc

it works off resistance, you took almost all of it out with an led. either unplug the warning lamp, add a resistor in line, or stick a regular bulb back in there.

quocle603

I had the same issue, going to have to go back to regular bulbs.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

KANDY

1974 RD350
1977 RD400

Dvsrd

Power saving from the brake light is neglible, as it should stay off all the time  8)
Did you replace just the taillight bulb, or the entire taillight?
If it is a custom setup, maybe 21w bulb+LED is possible? At least on my European 350A, it should be pretty easy to add a LED tail+brake light inside the original twilight, in addition to a 21W conventional bulb.

KANDY

Tried different combination Yesterday, By removing tail light and putting back the old one, same issue. It works good only when I change signal lights and speedo and  tacho bulbs(all the rest should be incandesent). I may have to live with it. My main intention was to change head light, Head light and signal lights. Read about adding resistors. If any one done this upgrade successfully, please advise.
1974 RD350
1977 RD400

Dvsrd

Quote from: KANDY on April 12, 2019, 09:47:54 AM
Tried different combination Yesterday, By removing tail light and putting back the old one, same issue. It works good only when I change signal lights and speedo and  tacho bulbs(all the rest should be incandesent). I may have to live with it. My main intention was to change head light, Head light and signal lights. Read about adding resistors. If any one done this upgrade successfully, please advise.
What do you want to achieve by going to LED? Lower power consumption will not happen if you throw resistors into the mix.  If you want to use different (smaller, lighter, different design) indicator lights, taillight then it still makes sense. Or if you want more longevity than regular bulbs.

KANDY

My Intention was Lower Power consumption. The resistors have at least 50W, then as you said dont make any sense. May be I will mix and match LED and Incandescent to lower power consumption and function the electrical as it should. Again If any one done this upgrade successfully, please advise.
1974 RD350
1977 RD400

m in sc

IVE HAD DIFFERENT BIKES THAT WERE prone to vibrate and blow bulbs, so led is good there if nothing else.

id unplug the warning lamp, stuff the led back in and call it a day.  :twocents:

Redbird

Quote from: m in sc on April 12, 2019, 03:23:29 PM
IVE HAD DIFFERENT BIKES THAT WERE prone to vibrate and blow bulbs, so led is good there if nothing else.

id unplug the warning lamp, stuff the led back in and call it a day.  :twocents:
This ;)

I have full LED's in every operational bike I own. No issues whatsoever.
"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"

bracket maker

Quote from: KANDY on April 10, 2019, 02:19:34 PM
Hi All,
I changed all bulbs to LED and changed the Flasher to LED Flasher. Every thing is working as it should, but the stop indicator is blinking always, Brake ON or OFF. Please advise
Thanks

the brake light is not connected to the flasher unit. the flasher unit is not connected to the brake. don't know what you did but you have to trace back to where the brake light got shorted to the indicator.

changing to all led's allow many bikes to run with out a battery. it also allows bikes with alternators to run on a tiny battery. it really takes the stress off the charging system. the conversion should be as easy as changing bulbs and flasher. they come in all the popular sizes, 1157, 1156, t4.

the old flasher units have a bi-metal strip that heats up as current flows breaking the contact momentarily flashing the bulb. the current led's draw is not enough to heat up the old design flasher. led flashers work on a different principal. they have a timer on a chip that flashes the indicator. it is voltage dependent not current dependent. many electronic devices work this way today.

read my post in the tech section about led's. this will put you miles ahead of others giving advise. putting resistors is a bad idea. do not do it. you are correct about resistors. they don't add 50w that's a max rating. what they do is allow enough current to flow to make a old style flasher unit work. they defeat the purpose. the indicator bulbs in the speedo do not need to be changed. use them as is.

HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

m in sc

hes talking about the stock 'brake lamp indicator' light on rd250/350s, not the turn signal flasher.  :twocents:

bracket maker

Quote from: m in sc on April 15, 2019, 09:03:42 AM
hes talking about the stock 'brake lamp indicator' light on rd250/350s, not the turn signal flasher.  :twocents:

I am talking about the 'brake lamp indicator' they don't flash. the op is not wired correctly. it does not matter what bike you are talking about.

Quote from: Redbird on April 12, 2019, 10:24:35 PM
Quote from: m in sc on April 12, 2019, 03:23:29 PM

This ;)

I have full LED's in every operational bike I own. No issues whatsoever.

so do I.

HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

m in sc

in a stock setup, if the bulb is out when the brake is applied,  they absolutely do flash.

KANDY

Quote from: m in sc on April 15, 2019, 09:03:42 AM
Yes, I am

Thanks for all the replies,
Currently I made it to a reasonably satisfying condition. Put the tail light bulb back(incandescent), Neutral LED, All 4 turn signals LED, Head Light H4(35W) not LED.
Checked the charging system and found 13.8 at 2500 RPM. My New LED Headlight bulb is on the way. Will put that and update soon.

bracket maker, I will look in to the wiring and see any shortage in my wiring.
Thanks again
1974 RD350
1977 RD400