Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

slots for glasses.

Started by kramdua, January 22, 2023, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramdua

i have a lot of helmets. over the years i have kept all the helmets that i could. as of now i currently use 3 of them.
I wear eye glasses and they were basically for reading and night time to help with headlight glare. as of now it's getting to the point that i have a hard time reading the gauges without my glasses. the rd gauges i can see pretty well because the numbers are larger. my other bikes are smaller. my problem is it is very hard to put the glasses on with a helmet. it is just too tight. especially my bell qualifier helmet. i even went up a size on that helmet and even though the helmet fits well and isn't too tight it is still uncomfortable. i have 2 pairs of different frame glasses and it is still the same.
what i would like to know is if anyone else has a problem with this? has anyone come up with a fix or modification to help with this problem? just for info i won't change to contacts or have lasik eye surgery.
thanks,   
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

Kawtriplefreak

Probably not the reply you want to hear. But I bought a modular helmet where the whole front of the helmet flips open for that very reason.

kramdua

thanks for that.
i actually have a modular helmet. unfortunately the little pull handle that opens the helmet fell out one day and i haven't bothered to get a replacement. i do think i could open it with a pair of needle nose so i could try it with the glasses.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

sav0r

Buy a cheap pair of small frame glasses from like Zenni and cut the arms back. That's what I do. I cut them right at the bend of the ear hook. Round it off nicely, and you can stick them in the helmet. The arms will bend and break over time. But for $25 shipped it's a small price to pay.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

kramdua

thanks for the info. i thought this might help but foam rubber usually bounces back into shape. we'll see.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

Economy Cycle John

The "reading glasses" era of my life has passed, bifocals solved reading the gauges problem for me and was inevitable anyway. Takes a few weeks to adjust to them. My glasses are comfortable with my helmets, only thing I can think of is that my helmets have speaker pockets by the ears and maybe give just a little more room in that area.
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

klaird

I went with a Shoei modular helmet and it works well for my glasses but its loud and not that comfortable.  You might try some stick on magnifiers/bifocals attached to your visor.  Not sure how the focal point would affect the magnification that you would need compared to what you are using now.

pdxjim

I wear a Shoei RF1500 (I think) helmet and wear progressive/transition lenses in RayBan 4340 Wayfarer frames. No problems here, everything fits great.

Readers are a PITA, just get progressive lenses and you can leave them on all the time.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

1976RD400C

I put my helmet on halfway, then the glasses through the opening, then pull helmet into place.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Striker1423

I just force my glasses into place. (Cheap Zenni's). I've never broken them. They're a little loose now, but meh. Snowmobiling, motorcycling, all the same. Well, save for the fog buildup in the winter if you don't have a heated shield. I love my BVS2, just because the heated shield cooks my face too lol.

They are making more helmets now with large openings for ear buds and glasses. Just search for glasses-friendly helmets.

sav0r

That's why I say cutting the hook off helps. You can sort of slide them in. With the available cheap glasses these days it's not a big deal.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

kramdua

8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

Evans Ward

My Shoei, Arai, and AGV helmets all accommodate my prescription Oakley sunglasses without any issues. Both pair of Oakleys go straight back without any curvature around ears.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

kramdua

i had an old pair of glasses with straight arms for over the ears. i bent them inward at the point where they push against my helmet. they seem to work fairly well. i think i am going to get a pair just for motorcycle riding.
thanks for all the info.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.