Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Fiberglass front fender options for RD 350 AC

Started by IR8D8R, April 18, 2023, 01:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

Due to some tight tire clearance concerns I have removed my RD 350's cut-down stock front fender and fitted a billet fork brace.

What are some options to the Airtech glass fenders? Is there something better or easier to fit and finish? Airtech prices are OK, and I have their rear inner fender but it is pretty raw. Probably should be filled for paint since the gel coat isn't very smooth. Reminds me of old JC Whitney VW Baja Bug parts.

This aluminum option seems about the same as far as installation goes. I'm more comfortable drilling aluminum than fiberglass, and it wouldn't need rubber washers to keep from cracking at the mount bolts.
https://vintagespareparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=114

What has anyone successfully used? Does anything from other makes/models fit? Any other quality glass options? I don't usually ride in the rain but I've been caught before and I'd rather not have water slinging up under my chin.

IR8D8R

m in sc

nighthawk abs fenders, like 650 nighthawks. might fit the bill.

kramdua

i really like that fender but how would you mount it with a fork brace installed? i might consider purchasing one for mine.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

m in sc

the have mounting holes, make a small flat adapter.   :umm:

from what i remember, and its been years, they are pretty close to the stock holes.it should fit under a fork brake.

IR8D8R

Interestingly, 650 Nighthawk fenders came up on a Google search for fiberglass RD350 fenders... Which I haven't been able to duplicate. ...Depends on how it's worded.

The India aluminum TZ knockoffs look almost identical to the LC fenders on Yambits in basic design. Will an LC fender bolt up to an Aircooled fork? The aluminum Indian ones are not drilled.

I'm leaning towards Airtech rather than playing the Delhi lottery. I think the stock fender will fit under the brace FWIW. I used a brace from RSW Racing. But the stock fender bracket only has about 1.5mm of clearance either side of my 90/100 tire on a Sun 2.15" rim, and that's the entire reason for the brace. Chuck Q. said the fiberglass fenders will crack if you don't use a fork brace.

IR8D8R

Brad-Man

I'd be a lot more worried about the poor handling w/o a brace than fiberglass cracking....
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

bitzz

The TZs, Yamaha's production racer, had basically the same front end as the RD, ran a fibreglass fender with no brace.

Brad-Man

Quote from: bitzz on April 21, 2023, 06:52:29 PM
The TZs, Yamaha's production racer, had basically the same front end as the RD, ran a fibreglass fender with no brace.

They had 35mm fork tubes - not 34mm.
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

bitzz

From someone that's ridden on both... not much difference

m in sc

is there an axle diameter difference? I can def say, i felt the difference on my lightweight w or w out a brace. (hence why i made one)  :twocents:

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Djg8493

I have also struggled to figure out a good front fender option while using a fork brace.  With the size of this billet design I could only find this tiny one for now, would love to make something more suitable work. 

Is this similar to the design you are up against?
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

RDFL

m in sc

i know for a fact you can run a nighthawk fender under a raised forkbrace like that.

on my old orange rd, I ran a metal 'subframe' from a stock rd fender (i think) under an airtech one.