News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

reviews on ring type doorbells and biometric safes?

Started by Evans Ward, April 13, 2020, 12:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evans Ward

We've had a couple of home invasion attempts near where I live. I'm looking for some info, guidance, and reviews on those Ring type security doorbell monitors. What type of costs would one be looking at for the door unit and say one additional camera focused on your driveway? I'm assuming they work with apps that alert your iPhones/ devices? Are their hidden costs and monthly service fees? I'm also an advocate for 2nd Amendment rights and have a CC permit. But, I can't keep things locked and loaded due to one of our children (young adult) living with us having several mental health diagnoses with past extensive history of inpatient psychiatric hospitalizations. Very stable over last couple of years though... good thing!  If you don't agree with 2nd amendment rights, I'm politely asking those not to turn this thread into a political shit storm. I have been looking and reading reviews on biometric handgun safes that use fingerprint technology to gain quick access however reviews are all over the place for some of these. My present handgun safe uses 3 digit tumblers which are useless when time is of the essence. Looking for those that did their due diligence here with tips, guidance, recommendations. Thanks in advance for input on these two topics/ needs.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

rodneya

Ring doorbells dont work very well if it gets cold where you live. They are also very easy to steal.
My wife wanted one, but you have to pay a monthly fee to be able to rewind and review footage.

I bought Wyze cameras from Amazon, no hidden fees or monthly costs. They work great with clear video and if you install a SD card you can rewind back a few days.
Also sends notifications on your phone.

RattlecanResto

Check out lockpickinglawyer on YouTube. The guy is obviously an expert and can defeat just about any lock, but many are defeated without picking. He defeats gun safes and trigger locks without picking. Might be worth a look.

thatguy

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

jradnich

I haven't tried the Ring system but I'm happy with the Night Owl security cameras form Costco. You can connect to your home WiFi an view the cameras from your phone with no monthly fees. You can set them for alerts on motion alone or motion and thermal.
I've looked at some biometric safes. I didn't like the ones I've tried. You have to get your print right before it recognizes it and it takes a couple of seconds for it to open. There might  be some out there that are faster opening though. In my car I use a safe with a 3 number roller combo lock and I set it so I have to turn 1 dial 1 position to open. This seems to work for me.

thatguy

Quote from: Evans Ward on April 13, 2020, 04:49:24 PM
I have a mean unsocialized GSD too:

He's not mean,unsocialized or even a GSD. However I wouldn't want to find out if he thought I shouldn't be there. Don't care for mean dogs they're lousy companions and he's my best friend. Has been for 11 years.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Evans Ward

Quote from: thatguy on April 13, 2020, 07:02:57 PM
Quote from: Evans Ward on April 13, 2020, 04:49:24 PM
I have a mean unsocialized GSD too:

He's not mean,unsocialized or even a GSD. However I wouldn't want to find out if he thought I shouldn't be there. Don't care for mean dogs they're lousy companions and he's my best friend. Has been for 11 years.

No, not yours- mine. Sorry! Just saying I have one also. This breed is very loyal. My dog loves the family but is very protective.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

Evans Ward

I'm looking at the Nite Owl system with doorbell and multiple cameras as well as some concealed furniture for the 9mm. Going to purchase a combo laser and high lumens tacticle light for it soon.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

Hail Satin

Hey Evans

I can't speak directly to the biometric safes but I do have a couple of safes with e-combination locks
(Absolutely detest them). Anything that takes a battery (like the biometric) you'll have to be extra diligent
about keeping fresh batteries in them. The minute the battery voltage drops, you're instantly locked out.

Another side note with regard to biometric print readers: my last company used one for the time clock. It would
not read employee fingerprints about 10% of the time.

Just my observations. Thanks and be well.

Joe

Evans Ward

I went with a Blink XT2 system with 8 cameras- all wireless, works off WiFi, and records/ uploads to the Cloud. Best price from Best Buy and will install myself. No monthly fees and Blink is owned by Amazon. Also looking at concealed furniture and purchased a nice tactical light/ laser for my full size Ruger Security 9 (15+1 capacity). I will be ready.  :dawg:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750

Hail Satin

Nice!

Unfortunately it's not "on roster" here in california (along with nearly everything else...)

Take care

Joe

Dvsrd

Living in a very safe place,  I can still sympathize with those who experience home security threats. I do shoot and hunt, and have a well stocked gun safe myself, but no handguns. My ideal for a self defence weapon would be a short pump action 12 gauge.

Striker1423

Quote from: Dvsrd on May 06, 2020, 07:47:13 AM
Living in a very safe place,  I can still sympathize with those who experience home security threats. I do shoot and hunt, and have a well stocked gun safe myself, but no handguns. My ideal for a self defence weapon would be a short pump action 12 gauge.

As someone who regularly shoots calibers large and small, a shotgun is a good investment only if done properly.

Personally,  I'm a firm believer in being accurate and that requires diligence in hoofing it to the range frequently. Shooting is only good if you can hit anything.

Evans Ward

I also have a H&R Pardner Pump short barrel 12 gauge shotgun. It would be my gun of choice for home defense if time wasn't of the essence especially loaded with a variety of loads to include birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. Just can't conceal that one. My carry gun is a Ruger LCP380 ACP with aftermarket trigger and Talon grips. Fits perfectly in a inside waistband holster under an oversized T shirt when out walking/ jogging. Sort of apprehensive about going to the range right now with COVID19 concerns and Im also a lifetime shooter. Hunted when younger but now into it for personal protection and peace of mind. I have a T shirt that says, "The 2nd Amendment- the original Homeland Security".
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750