News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What did you do during the Stay At Home order today?

Started by Barto, April 14, 2020, 01:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barto

These are strange times and in the spirit of societal co-operation and healthy fear for our lives, my wife and I are getting better and better at staying at home with the dog.  When we are out, exercising, etc., face covering is easy enough, just grab a bandana and make like a bandit...
  So what to do with all this extra time, besides listing old junk to sell?  The answer was easy for me:  Clear out the accumulated year and a half worth of crap clogging up the the Garage from remodeling my wife's place in preparation for it to be a rental and for her to move in with me.  Also piled in there was/is the stuff of mine that she said had to go that I can't/won't yet get rid of.  Then, the next layer down is stuff from my late little brother's garage that I needed to bring home.  One thing of his I saw today that particularly tickled him is a pair of Colorado license plates "ML-420" that accidentally translate as "Boulder, Colorado 4/20"   :whistle:.
  Underneath that is the stuff of my dad's I had to keep like a killer US made Bluebird brand cherry picker and engine stand that break down and stash nicely, at least if you have a spare corner for them.  Anyway, a lot of putting away, finding a place for, getting rid of (reluctantly) and cleaning up, in order to Work on my 2Ts!!!  What a concept!  Work on something fun!
  So what did I do today?  Something I would normally sneak.  (The high today in Denver was about 25 degrees F.)  Washed parts on the stove and in the sink!  This was a first, under her nose and with permission!  I have done a little exploratory working on stuff in the living room, but I figure I need to tread lightly in the kitchen!  Judicious choice of solvent was probably key to pulling it off.. I used Oil Eater... not very noxious.  Anyway, success all around and I'm really making some progress toward having room to work on the ring dings!
  So I figure how about a thread for showing what we can do with this unusual opportunity some of us have right now. What did you do that you can't normally?  Hang in there everyone!  Here's a photo if I can manage it: 
'79 400F                             '82 KZ750E
'79 Husqvarna WR390          '70 MTD minibike
'77 Husqvarna CR390           '55 Indian Woodsman (British 500 Bullet) basket
'75 Bultaco Alpina 350
'66 Benelli Cobra 125

pdxjim

Lookin good, Barto.

When I have stuff like that to clean, I just chuck it all in the ultrasonic cleaner, press a few buttons and come back a half an hour later to spotlessly clean parts.

I got a 10liter one off Ebay for about a hundred bucks, and it was worth every penny.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Barto

Thanks pdxjim.  An ultrasonic is high on the list, I really should get a small one while I try to figure a spot for a big one.  I had no idea they had gotten so big, 'till I read the thread here about solvent choices where you and others got into it.  I'll have to try and find it again.

Here is the plate I mentioned.  ("ML" stood for Boulder County in the old numbering system.):

'75 Bultaco Alpina 350
'66 Benelli Cobra 125

Redbird

"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"

The Red Scourge

Quote from: Redbird on April 15, 2020, 08:06:46 AM
I went to work.

I did as well.  I'm a drug and alcohol counselor.  We're doing all our clinical services virtually now though.  I'm hoping to have a bit of time to experiment with stripping the RD's frame paint today.  In the past I always used aircraft stripper, but now all of that stuff has been weakened.  Going to try a wire wheel and possibly a flap disc on an angle grinder.  I have a feeling the flap disc might be too aggressive though.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

85RZwade

I'll agree with that; we sharpen lawnmower blades with an angle grinder equipped with a flap wheel
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

looks good. working on a small block ford? (blue bolt head). I also see header bolts.  :righteous:

I worked, havent missed a day. we supply food, medical, and public works (industrial valving and automation mfg)

JB Weld

I've been working this whole time. Took vacation today and reluctantly picked up our new camper that we bought in January. Had to stop once for gas, otherwise distanced ourselves during the two hour drive each way.

dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

pdxjim

I rode my TDR to work today!

Running stain grade trim in my buddy's ADU.

Nice change from my career doing home inspections for the last seven years.

Prior to that I was a finish carpenter/site manager and later General Contractor.

I miss working with my hands and making things pretty, but glad I don't have to do it every day anymore.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Went to work...while my wife and our youngest son sold a riding lawnmower that he and I rehabbed. After his cut, $200 American landed in my wallet! Time to buy some bike parts (and get another mower out there for sale).  :whoop: :celebrate:
I post waayyy too much

Dxrat

Trying to finish my dream garage with an ADU on top. Then went to work at the one that pays. I'll sleep someday hopefully.

1976RD400C

'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Barto

Quote from: m in sc on April 15, 2020, 04:08:53 PM
looks good. working on a small block ford? (blue bolt head). I also see header bolts.  :righteous:

Good eye Mark,  there are a few 289 ford bolts amongst all those header bolts.  The linkage is the last piece in the puzzle for a 440/auto swap into my my wife's vintage Dodge 360/manual RV.  The only metric bolt in that batch was not in the photo 'cause my ageing puppy was curious and was nosing it around on the floor.

Didn't you have a cool old Ford for sale a few years ago?  Maverick?  Falcon?  No, wait, Fairlane!!?
Spotted this Pinto/Bobcat near the CO/NM border last month, begging for a V8!

Quote from: m in sc on April 15, 2020, 04:08:53 PM
I worked, havent missed a day. we supply food, medical, and public works (industrial valving and automation mfg)

Thank you for you service!   :cheerleader: 
'75 Bultaco Alpina 350
'66 Benelli Cobra 125

m in sc

ha, knew it.

No service, just glad im working. owner of the company had enough on hand to carry payroll for 3 mos if no gvt help is coming. we should be ok, glad we can keep the doors open.

Yup, still have the maverick. rerung it over the winter, new pistons, etc. also still have the galaxie and falcon, would still sell the maverick but nobody wants to pay me for it, so it sits being driven about every week.   fwiw, i do the same thing to my hardware, i ultrasonic clean it in carb dip. ;)
:cheerleader:

going sbm to 440? nice. love a big block mopar, buddy is into them, keep trying to talk him into stuffing one of the 2 440's he has into his 74 dart sport. Instead he built a 318 for it?  :busey: