Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Seat cover tips?

Started by rd400canuck, June 01, 2020, 12:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

I ordered a seat cover from Econocycle and am getting ready to remove the old one and put this one on. I've never done anything like this before and I want it to look perfect. There's also a strap included but I'm not sure how its supposed to be attached and to what.

Any tips or tricks to get it right?

NoRiders

From making and foaming my own seat pad, I'd say make sure the foam is smooth and free from lumps, bumps and ripples...whatever is there will show through the vinyl.

When stretching the vinyl out, do it end on end, down the centreline first so you get it central, then across the middle and so on...good luck.

m in sc

yup. start at center, front or rear, then work the cover up zig zagging side to side evenly but tight (tighter than you probably think) till it gets to the other end, centered. if your foam is somewhat shrunken, you may need to add a thin layer of foam to the existing one prior  :twocents:

Czakky

My advice is to hire a pro if you're picky... I sucked pretty bad my first attempt.

forexer

good points all ready mentioned such as wrapping the foam with a Dacron Wrap if the underlying foam is not smooth - also starting in the center and working outwards - I would also recommend placing the vinyl in the dryer to get it warm which makes it easier to stretch the material and if you have access to a steamer even better steam it and work it this is what I've seen the professionals do.

Good Luck!

Striker1423

I used a space heater (it was also wintertime) and got the vinyl nice and warm. Not melting hot mind you, but warm. It hurts the fingers and mine isn't perfect, but its 1000 times better than what was on it!

RattlecanResto

I suck at it so I have a shop do it (I provide the cover). My guy usually sews a wire into the edge of the cover so he can stretch it more without damage. Sometimes he has to build up the foam. Usually around $100-130 depending what he has to do. Always comes back perfect though.

NoRiders

Quote from: RattlecanResto on June 03, 2020, 06:02:43 PM
I suck at it so I have a shop do it (I provide the cover). My guy usually sews a wire into the edge of the cover so he can stretch it more without damage. Sometimes he has to build up the foam. Usually around $100-130 depending what he has to do. Always comes back perfect though.

I use a local trimmer too....

..there's not a chance in hell I'd stitch my own covers as a DIY upholstery attempt usually ends up looking like, well, like a DIY upholstery attempt :)

But, stretching a repro cover over existing foam is something I would attempt and hope for a reasonable outcome.