News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

How To Remove Broken Bolts Stuck In Aluminum

Started by forexer, December 15, 2020, 08:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forexer

I've never seen this before using a battery to remove broken bolts - Thought it was worth sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlJ5f2-FcQ

Striker1423

Seems like a good way to get burned... Literally, anyway lol. Good thinking though.

Djg8493

1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

m in sc

thats sketchy but if you've ever been a line tech, stuff like this (used) to happen all the time.  would i use the battery trick on a bolt like that, in that particular situation? yes. But i would never use the one in the car itself. But theres other ways to make this happen. a good tig welder will get the heat directed more than the mig, and you can get it hot enough to get a nut on it to get it out. not so much with a mig in THAT particular scenario (aluminum heat sink/head)

way we used to do it: flap wheel, (to get flat), center punch, center drill, real drill, 90 degree air drill. till you can get in there. Luckily if somebody hadn't lost your left hand drill bit it will come out. then pull bolt remains out, then helicoil. that was the method we used to have to use on hondas and toyotas in NE kansas dealer i was at.

Luckily i dont do that for a living anymore, so now i have the time to pull a motor to deal with potentially broken exh studs. (just did last weekend on the galaxie actually)

Djg8493

Agree, I'm not playing down or against the use of sketchy methods, for work I actually travel all around visiting automotive shops so I've seen some interesting repair methods.  We actually make a repair kit with hardware and new manifold for this.  I was more surprised how cheap induction tools have gotten, they work awesome. 
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

Striker1423

Quote from: Djg8493 on December 16, 2020, 02:41:10 PM
Agree, I'm not playing down or against the use of sketchy methods, for work I actually travel all around visiting automotive shops so I've seen some interesting repair methods.  We actually make a repair kit with hardware and new manifold for this.  I was more surprised how cheap induction tools have gotten, they work awesome.

For a lot of repairs and shops. I'm of the opinion if it's done, it's done. If I'm doing the work, I want it done right. If someone else is doing the work... I'd rather not see the methods involved. Just call me when it's done lol. Just ask my old '99 Silverado front wheel bearings if Propane, air hammers, Big Friggin' Hammers, and pry bars were a solid removal method approved by a dealer in a salty winter state. That was a day I really wish I didn't watch my buddy work lol. Also, well before I learned a method that kicks old school beatin' apparatus in the hind quarters. Turns a few hour job into a few minutes.

Knock stud out of bearing, separate a two jaw puller, line up with steering knuckle, and impact away. Bearings fall right out that way. Rust be damned.

m in sc

sav0r

If it's stupid and it works it's still stupid but it worked and luckily you didn't get hurt.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.