Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

vintage smoke iggy

Started by lawnboy, November 26, 2021, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnboy

lookin to install a V.S. ignition and was wondering the best alternative to the scotch lock it came with.  pictures or drawn diagram would be great

Striker1423

Cut, splice and solder the wire together.

Hawaii-Mike

m in sc

or, what I did was use a triple  female bullet connector from vintage connections and replace the stock double one to the coil power one. then use a single bullet from the red wire to the factory harness. r5 has even like that for 5+ yrs

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/bullet-connectors-wire-electrical/bullet-connectors-terminals/4mm-female-triple-socket-bullet-connectors-5-pack/

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/bullet-connectors-wire-electrical/bullet-connectors-terminals/3-5mm-or-4mm-male-bullet-connectors-25pk/

a set of these connectors + the more common ones is something everyone w an rd should have IMHO. keep the harry homeowner connectors out of vintage bikes.

Hawaii-Mike

There you go, that's easier if you prefer not to solder.

lawnboy

"keep the harry homeowner connectors out of vintage bikes."

That's what i wanna do. So triple bullet with the double female end to the 2 browns at the coils, red wire from VS ign. to single male bullet and red/blk from harness wired(crimped) to the connector?

m in sc

you can do it that way sure. or just replace the stock dual feed plug w the triple one.

is this on a 400 or a 250 or 350? if its the 400, and the stock ballast resistor is in place, you need to remove it and run regular 3 ohm coils. well, i would.

lawnboy

is this correct?

m in sc

lawnboy

lawnboy

Happy New Year !!

Got my bike fired up today! :whoop:..... But it's only firing on the left side. :bang: F! Coils ohm out ok so now I'm wondering if one of the modules on the vintage smoke ignition is bad. How do you troubleshoot the modules?

m in sc

swap the leads to the coil left to right, then the plug wires. if it follows the pickup you know thats it.

Striker1423

You can also pull the plugs and ground them, they will still snap with the VS ignition.  If one snaps and not the other double-check the distance between the pickup and rotor is correct, then start double-checking wiring for any shorts (that's what mine was) and of course the coils, etc.

lawnboy

swap the leads to the coil left to right, then the plug wires. if it follows the pickup you know thats it.

still only firing on the left side.  circuit tester shows power at both coils tho. is it possible to get a single pick up? where should i start tracing for shorts?

Striker1423

Mine had a wire rubbed through right at the too of the housing before connecting to the old points wire. I'd check around inside the housing first. A lot of vibration occurs there.

It could very well be a bad pickup. New ones can be bought from dyna.