This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Stop Indicator is blinking after LED Conversion

Started by KANDY, April 10, 2019, 02:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bracket maker

Quote from: m in sc on April 15, 2019, 09:49:20 AM
in a stock setup, if the bulb is out when the brake is applied,  they absolutely do flash.

mark really knows his stuff, it's not two people saying different things. we probably are saying the same thing. I called it a short. it is. mark says its wired like that stock. believe him. nothing wrong to running a jumper to fix antique circuits to do modern things. when I say the led flasher is voltage dependent I don't mean you are not charging. I mean the 12v led flasher won't work on a 6v bike. no problem with the old flashers that run on current not voltage. also you can't run an led flasher on ac 6 or 12. fine with the old type.

don't kill yourself if you can't find the problem. run a jumper to the stop indicator straight to the ignition switch and don't look back. very happy with my h4 led headlight its bright enough and allows me to do things not possible with old tech.
HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

bracket maker

Quote from: m in sc on April 10, 2019, 02:21:05 PM
it works off resistance, you took almost all of it out with an led. either unplug the warning lamp, add a resistor in line, or stick a regular bulb back in there.

this is really weird. I didn't know this was a known defect in the rd250/350. led's work on any bike with a battery by definition.

run a jumper from the battery (ignition) to the tail to fix.

m in sc

if the harness is stock, there's a component under the steering neck behind the horn that is designed to cause the light to flash if the bulb is out.

371-84708-00-00   CHECKER, LIGHT

by now, a lot of these have been unplugged or removed, but they never seem to fail if they are plugged in. not a defect, its there by design to do exactly what it did.  :twocents:

item #35
https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy?ls=Road&nw=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=#/Yamaha/RD350A_-_1974/ELECTRICAL

bracket maker

Quote from: m in sc on April 17, 2019, 08:07:22 AM
if the harness is stock, there's a component under the steering neck behind the horn that is designed to cause the light to flash if the bulb is out.

371-84708-00-00   CHECKER, LIGHT

by now, a lot of these have been unplugged or removed, but they never seem to fail if they are plugged in. not a defect, its there by design to do exactly what it did.  :twocents:

item #35
https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy?ls=Road&nw=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=#/Yamaha/RD350A_-_1974/ELECTRICAL

I knew you know your stuff. its an antique part for an antique design. It's not a defect if you run antique bulbs, it is a defect if you want to run led's. so this part just needs to be unplugged?

m in sc

yup. but, you lose the stock warning lamp. personally, i never ran one anyway.

bracket maker

this is what I mean about how much less wire is in a modern harness. I'm sure all these extra wires are 14 guage too. It also shows why I said to bypass the harness altogether. just visualize me pulling my hair out trying to find a relay behind the horn when the problem is at the ass end in the tail light.

m in sc

i get your point, but not everybody wants to rewire a bike. My r5 is dead stock wiring, works fine. most bikes do. 47 years on, no wiring issues.  :twocents:

bracket maker

Quote from: m in sc on April 17, 2019, 11:07:48 AM
i get your point, but not everybody wants to rewire a bike. My r5 is dead stock wiring, works fine. most bikes do. 47 years on, no wiring issues.  :twocents:

unplugging an antique relay is not a rewire. there is no member of this site that can't run a wire from the hot side of the ignition switch to the brake light switch. adding a jumper is not a rewire. that's is my point. no bike needs to be rewired today. switch to led's and any 6v can run 12v using the stock wiring. all that's needed for the conversion is a 12v battery and 12v regulator. the wiring does not get touched.

the only bikes that need new harnesses are the mx conversions where the po has stripped out all the lighting circuits.

I'm glad your 47 yo bike is bone stock. all the rest of us would use a modern rec/reg. the stock mechanical regulator is crap.

m in sc

nah, its fine as it is. its been working since 1970 and is in good shape.  And i mentioned earlier, i usually don't run one of the dash indicators either, i usually unplug it (mostly because i find the red light coming on on the dash a distraction when im driving).

Most of my bikes are rewired completely.. (but most aren't stock either), but a well sorted stocker works just fine as well.   what usually kills them is a low battery and overloading the charging system. (and corrosion of the connectors if not maintained). 

Redbird

Quote from: bracket maker on April 15, 2019, 08:48:00 AM
read my post in the tech section about led's. this will put you miles ahead of others giving advise...
::)
"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"