This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

hpi ignition vs vape

Started by 2t Fan, May 14, 2020, 05:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

^ exactly correct on all accounts.

IF you need to keep the revs up on a corner, learn throttle control. ;)

but, TBH, as stated, the crank on an rd is so heavy anyway, under real world use, there's no real negative as far as crank inertia vs an mzb or stock as far as I can see. but the motor is more responsive with some weight removed. On a single, would def matter more.  :twocents:

1976RD400C

Another thought, the light rotor helps with stress on the crank. If you have a high rev motor I think the stock heavy rotor can cause the crank to start to spread where the rod pin and thrust washers are on that side. No proof, but mine did that once.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: rd400canuck on May 15, 2020, 01:28:25 PM
Not wanting to hijack here but something I never heard anyone mention is how the bike's power behaves with almost no flywheel weight with the HPI? Especially in low rpms and clutching in first gear. I have HPI unit I will install as soon as I get jetting 100%.

Only reason I ask is because I am a fan of smooth easy to use power... but ive never actually driving a bike that's practically had its flywheel weight removed.

Thoughts?

Just get the jetting close...It will change when you add the HPI with a more aggressive timing curve!
Most likely will want bigger pilot jet and a leaner main jet.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

SUPERTUNE

IMO,
I have said before...stock engines like more aggressive timing curves and more modified engines don't need a real aggressive curves.
HPI are nice for a bare bones kind of bike, I do use mostly the Powerdynomo/Vape CDI more for a robust system.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

quocle603

Plenty of information on the VAPE. Despite being around for awhile now, the HPI system have just gotten more attention with more people putting their input/review on the product. There are pros and cons to each system, its really what you want to get out of the system. I would suggest reading up on Chuck's thread on the HPI and read about the VAPE/MZB/Powerdynamo in varies other threads. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC