Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

I want a sport tourer/adventure bike

Started by RDryan, October 30, 2019, 04:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teazer

how about a Ducati Hyperstrada or MultiStrada.  Not designed for off road, but sexy looking and should be a load of fun.

busa1300

KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT
How can you say no to 175HP  :vroom:

This thing is beyond words, all the videos and tests that have been done, still don't tell the whole story on how this thing really feels

RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

pdxjim

Quote from: busa1300 on November 04, 2019, 07:14:48 PM
KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT
How can you say no to 175HP  :vroom:

This thing is beyond words, all the videos and tests that have been done, still don't tell the whole story on how this thing really feels

LOL, yeah! 

My buddy with the '19 790 Duke originally had a '18 1290 SuperDukeR.

He is by far the fastest/best rider/racer I know, and sold the 1290 'coz it was "too fast".

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

busa1300

Quote from: pdxjim on November 04, 2019, 07:24:34 PM

LOL, yeah! 

My buddy with the '19 790 Duke originally had a '18 1290 Super Duke.

He is by far the fastest/best rider/racer I know, and sold the 1290 'coz it was "too fast".

I parked my Hayabusa, indefinitely now that I have the SDGT  8).....but yea, it seriously hauls.....
My wife loves it and says it is the most comfortable bike i have ever had...even better than my long gone 72 GT750
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

gwcrim

A friend of mine got a Super Duke this summer.  I got a chance to swing a leg over it.  It's just another bike that's way faster than I'll ride.  Albeit a very nice one.  He wasn't acclimated to it when we took a trip to West By God so I was keeping up quite well.

RDryan

I tend to forget about the SuperDuke GT. I do remember seeing that bike and the 690 models at my local KTM dealer. My initial impression of both bikes does like this, they are both really sharp looking. The 690 I looked at was the white color model, it looked lighter than the Super Duke which makes sense as I guess you could say it's half that bike in terms of displacement but I guess since I feel kinda out of touch with whats out there for new bikes, I just thought the price of the 690 seemed very affordable for a new performance related bike. And it seemed like a bike that was just a lot of real world fun up to 70 mph and comfy looking with that sit up and beg riding position. Now the SuperDuke GT gave me the impression that touring bikes aren't just for old men, lol. :devil: :vroom: It really looks like it wants to pull non stop wheelies at a 100mph from where I live in Ma. straight to Cali.  :righteous: and in comfort and style. Although it's a premium, flagship bike compared to the 690 in regards to price. Also a physically bigger bike in terms of size and weight. Although if I was to get the 1290 Adventure R and not really do any fire road and or some kinda offroad riding then I would probably regret not getting the SuperDuke. As the Adventure just seems a bit bigger, heavier and really at a disadvantage in terms of wheel size and tire selection for the road.

Being addicted to that hand of god at your back feeling I get when I punch it in the first three gears of K6 is why I love it so much. it seems like KTM and BMW are the only two mfgrs. I know of that make sport tourers with a comparable powreplant.

Of course with that kind of power it seems to me you'll never get a back tire to last much more than 5k miles. It's about a inch of width either side of center that wears right down to the wear bars. Annoys me with the K6 and I imagine if I were to take a cross country ride on the SuperDuke I would probably have to consider a tire change or two but I guess that's par for the course.

pdxjim

690 is a single.  Lots of torque but a bit lacking top end.  Great motor for DS, supermoto  or big enduro.  Notsomuch on the freeway.

790 is an I/2 and hauls ass up top.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

RDryan

Quote from: pdxjim on November 06, 2019, 12:21:28 PM
690 is a single.  Lots of torque but a bit lacking top end.  Great motor for DS, supermoto  or big enduro.  Notsomuch on the freeway.

790 is an I/2 and hauls ass up top.

Yeah I haven't seen the 790 up close. Only in pics. I wonder how it compares to the Honda Africa?

Zonda

I've owned several adventure/tourer bike and the one thing I always use as the base staring point is, weight.
There are lots of fantastic AD/TR bike out there and they will all get you there and back without much hassle, but once you start loading them up with all "the Gear" they will start to resemble a Pack Mule shipping dope! You can easily hit the 750pound (350kg) mark and if you've ever dropped a bike then you'll know how hard it can be to get it right side up again, and if you start riding dirt then you will drop the bike (in sand, I guarantee it).

A mate of mine has always said, "you'll only buy the bike you're happy to be seen riding"

Personal picks, second hand Husqvarna TR650 (light weight and not as bad as many will have you believe) Brand new, Yamaha T700 (tenere) stunning light weight, slim and very capable bike.

Cheers
Rod

RDryan

Quote from: Zonda on November 06, 2019, 07:53:21 PM
I've owned several adventure/tourer bike and the one thing I always use as the base staring point is, weight.
There are lots of fantastic AD/TR bike out there and they will all get you there and back without much hassle, but once you start loading them up with all "the Gear" they will start to resemble a Pack Mule shipping dope! You can easily hit the 750pound (350kg) mark and if you've ever dropped a bike then you'll know how hard it can be to get it right side up again, and if you start riding dirt then you will drop the bike (in sand, I guarantee it).

A mate of mine has always said, "you'll only buy the bike you're happy to be seen riding"

Personal picks, second hand Husqvarna TR650 (light weight and not as bad as many will have you believe) Brand new, Yamaha T700 (tenere) stunning light weight, slim and very capable bike.

Cheers
Rod

Hi Rod, great post. I appreciate the input, sounds like wise words. Upon pdxjim's mention of the KTM 790 I googled it and found the Yamaha T700 tenere. In fact I found someone's Youtube video giving a comparison of the two. Honestly I feel kinda superficial in my interest of sport tourers. I just like the idea of sitting more upright vs. my sportbike and also like the idea of a centerstand and panniers....but really I think it's a hoot that there are a few models out there that actually have 150+hp and roughly 90 ft. lbs. torque. I believe at the crank??? Basically I could get a 1290 Adventure R and just about keep up with my GSXR1000, well within my limits of twisting the wrist and that same bike will go off road. However like you guys say it will be a super heavy bike that maybe too much for tighter trails, sand, etc, etc. Honestly as I get more drawn in to this genre of motorcycle I find myself considering just about everything from most affordable to most expensive. As well as most powerful to most versatile or more road worthy vs. dirt. One thing I will say is if I do get something most likely I would like it to be local and I'm really looking at what I believe to be fair deals on used bikes. I honestly really don't want to pay the premium for new.

~JM~

RDryan

Quote from: ~JM~ on November 07, 2019, 10:37:49 PM
Street only?

Aprilia Tuono?

I know that bike, it's got that sensual Italian exotic thing going on and it gets great reviews. I see that as Aprilia's premium "streetfighter" offering. I'm actually more intrigued by the Aprilia Mana 850. Its got their fully automatic CVT transmission. OTOH the Honda Africa is offered with either an automatic or conventional standard transmission. Another thing about Aprilia is their is no dealer nearby to me where as the Honda dealer is only 10 miles away. I guess that's not a big deal when I consider all the parts I've been forced to by online for my RD because it's considered obsolete by Yamaha. Same dealer sells those too.  ;D

RDryan

Just window shopping my local craigslist and found this 1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200s. There was a time someone told me this was the perfect streetbike. I forgot about em but this bike at 1600$ with 13k is dirt cheap and looks pretty decent. What a killer deal for I imagine a great handling bike. Much like a Kawi Concours I find it a bit boorish but it's just one of those tractor like bikes that once you forget about what your seen on I imagine it goes real comfy and a bat outta hell. The bike has probably depreciated its value to about as cheap as one can be had. Compared to all the bikes we've been talking about it's a steal, LOL.  :twocents:

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/d/arlington-1998-bandit-1200s-excellent/7015840021.html

m in sc

you cant go wrong with a bandit. friend of mine has one, has had zero issues out of it. id snag it.

RDryan

I know that bike seems like a steal and seems like a legit ad. It was posted 12 hours ago so I imagine maybe there is some interest but then again the ad is still up and fresh. I hate to say it as I am 45 and getting older but I'll say it anyways....I sort of think of sport/tourers as old man's bikes or at best real world bikes. However I know that the Bandit can be an absolute monster of a wheelie bike in the right hands and just look as those bars and fairing. Looks like all day riding comfort!

You know a set of Helibars new on Ebay for my GSXR is like 300$, almost a quarter of the total asking price for that Bandit. I don't know...even if I didn't like it after awhile I don't think I would lose money on it.