Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Chinoy

Started by niteowl, February 08, 2023, 04:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niteowl

Been in a get rid of shit mode and found a couple of his ignitions. Anyone have  any good things to say about them after all these yrs? Any value?  1 is nib. I'd like to offer them  here perhaps.

m in sc

the big following seems ot be among the Indian guys moreso. I would think they would be interested more than anyone.

Did anyone have good luck with them over time?

niteowl

Ssme question here...

rodneya

I think Economy Cycle used to sell those, so it might be worth a quick call to get some info on them

mavguy

Chinoy ignitions are downright crap. Believe that is why economycycle discontinued them some indian members also tried them, better than stock but no where compared to MZB.my  :twocents:

SoCal250

There's a name I haven't heard in quite a while. I recall Ron had several iterations of his ignition as he made updates and improvements over the years. One thing I remember is that they came with a complete bike wiring harness where others on the market only came with the ignition itself. I don't think many of them were purchased by North America members on USA2Strokers or 2SW.
As Mark said, there was a big following (almost cult-like) among the Indian 2-stroke crowd and they defended its performance and reliability (whether accurate or not) on many of the forums back in the day. It was sort of a home team fan club.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Hawaii-Mike

I suddenly remembered Chinoy's website was RDdreams.com. It's not working anymore.

Searching Google, I found that he has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RDDreams/

SoCal250

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on February 10, 2023, 12:42:32 PM
I suddenly remembered Chinoy's website was RDdreams.com. It's not working anymore.
He announced quite a while back that he was ending his RD ignition business (and I think moving back into performance car parts). I'm sure someone here will know the details better than me. In any case it was probably 7-8? years ago that he said he was ending the product line.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

way back i had a real.. spicy.. conversation about these cdis with doug at motocarerra. boy did he have a lot to say. he had bought a stack of them from him to test and sell, and said every one was just garbage and didn't know what to do with them because he couldn't sell them in good conscious.

. he offered me one for free at the time when i bought some parts from him, this was in 2007 or so.   :dawg:

I remember i think it was chuck the only way to get a decent spark out of one at any real rpm was to set the plug gap at like. 020" or something ridiculously small.

RSW46

I got a Chinoy system back around 2011 and have it running on one of my 350s now. I understand the comments mentioned about the system since mine had issues with the charging side right out of the box. after some troubleshooting, I found the short and fixed it. It seems to work OK now, but there is no support for them if they have an issue, and quality control was not the best back then. It did come with the wire harness and the lefthand switch.

Regards Robert
Robert