(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Oh Dear!!

Started by elliottles1, July 11, 2022, 02:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliottles1

folks,

hoping someone may have some ideas.
out riding my lovely tzr125 when, one by one, components started burning out.
first the koso digital speedo/rev counter, then the digital temp. gauge. (separate component). then the power valve controller.
the bike still runs, so got home, but anything wired to the battery burned. i have tested them separately with a power supply and they are dead. does anyone think that the regulator/rectifier faulted and overcharged? the battery after all this only read 10.5 volts and now wont hold charge, so i may have cooked that.

any ideas anyone (please!)
cheers
les.

m in sc

oh that sucks.

i would def look at the reg/rectifier

Striker1423

Symptoms of overcharging are one by one dead components. Especially CDI's on old Chrysler outboards. Nothing like floating down the river hoping not to get run over by a freighter, or floating to Canada unannounced lol.

1976RD400C

I wonder what would happen with a lithium battery in that situation. Fire in the hole?
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

bitzz

Does the bike run?
Check the AC voltage across the battery when the bike is running. If you have more than a volt or two, that's your problem.

elliottles1

hi

thanks folks, i now have a plan forwards

les.

elliottles1

folks,

mailed my power valve controller off to this guy today, he has a great reputation, and also modifies the controller to be programmable with various settings, worth checking maybe if anyone has a power valve bike. i was half considering using his services a while ago, and am now convinced that i need them!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275346366915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

cheers
les.

elliottles1

Guys,

i have replaced the burned components including a refurbed ypvs controller. also replaced are the battery with a new one and the regulator/rectifier.
however, when running i get 14.7 at tickover across the battery, dropping to 14.2 when revved, what goes???

the only difference from standard yamaha is the battery which is 3.5amp AGM instead of 5amp lead/acid. could it be that?

thanks for any help/advice.
cheers
les.

Striker1423

14.2 is charging... so, I'd run it.

elliottles1

yup, i will do, but what would cause the voltage to DROP  when revving the bike??

les

m in sc

the voltage cutout working more efficiently.

elliottles1

thanks folks,
good to go then so.
les.

teazer

Not that there is anything in common with your bike but our FZR400 does basically the same thing. It seems to charge like a wounded steer at tickover and as revs rise the R/R cuts it off at a steady 13.5 or so volts.

elliottles1

teazer,

yep, i always thought it should be the other way round. i was a bit concerned because of the blown components with the previous reg/rect. that just cost me a couple o hundred or so. didnt want to blow them again.

cheers
les.