Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Help! with a Dyna S

Started by AAAltered, August 04, 2019, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biz

I had a problem years ago with an aftermarket electronic ignition on my GS1000 with wire crimps so that is a good thing to check.  It wasn't fun riding 50 miles home with only 2 of 4 cylinders firing.  If crimped properly with the right tool  the crimps do not need to be soldered.  The problem I found was that the wired had been tinned (coated with solder) before being crimped.  That is not how the crimps were designed to work, the wire needs to be bare stranded before being crimped.  You can solder it afterwards if you want.  So double check the crimps, hopefully it is something simple.

Dave

AAAltered

Not sure I'll get a reply from Nick, so I did some hunting for pickups. 

There are no part numbers on mine, so I looked for other Dyna S units that have visually similar pickups.

I see a new unit for a Kawi KZ that appears to have the same pickups.  Is anyone familiar enough with the Dyna S variants to conclude that these pickups should work on my R5?  For $120 it seems worth a shot (it's payday dontcha know...)

Mine:

Ebay KZ unit:

Thoughts?
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

AAAltered

Thanks Mark.  Purchased.  Expected delivery Wednesday.  Fingers crossed.
1971 R5
1976 RD200

AAAltered

The new Dyna arrived today, and I was able to spend a few hours in the garage.

I took one pickup off the new Dyna and grafted it onto the R5 wiring.  Knew almost right away I had a spark back on both sides.

Did the timing routine, and kicked it.....

Note the blue haze from both sides...

I have a bit to button up before I take a short shakedown ride...either later tonight or tomorrow morning....
1971 R5
1976 RD200

Striker1423

AAAltered

I've got two rides and about 8 miles on the new iggy.  I'm staying close to home because pushing it home is a biatch.  That said, it's run flawlessly so far.....
1971 R5
1976 RD200

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Organicjedi

Great! Hope it holds up for you. :cheers:

m in sc

2t Fan

I  had the same issue on my bike. As soon as the engine heat pick up one side fails. Once the engine is cool it fires again. Contacted Nick. He wanted the complete kit to be send to him for inspection and replacement. Considering the age of the kit, cost of repair & shipping , I bought a new Dyna S kit from Nick and installed . It's running fine now. But it is difficult to get a response from Nick on e-mail  ::)

AAAltered

^^^^^^^ what he said.

BUT instead of buying a new VS kit, I bought a KZ kit for $120 and used the pickup.  The real cost of the VS kit is the custom made mounting plate.  Once you have the plate, you can use pickups from other kits.  I researched all the Dyna S kits and had to go by them looking the same, since there are no PNs on the bits.

I'm glad I finally dug in to resolve this, I didn't originally install the iggy so had little knowledge about it.  Now I do and got away "cheap"....
1971 R5
1976 RD200

m in sc

actually, one of the huge benefits of nicks kit was the rotor. that's why the motors don't start backwards with his, they can using an off the shelf unit. ask how i know...  :o

Im not sure whats going on with Nick and this stuff. I wish he would get back on board with doing this stuff, however,  I can tell you, its time consuming to make these kits and his profit is a lot lower than you might think. But, it did help the community a lot having them available.

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on August 23, 2019, 08:06:41 AM
actually, one of the huge benefits of nicks kit was the rotor. that's why the motors don't start backwards with his, they can using an off the shelf unit. ask how i know...  :o

Im not sure whats going on with Nick and this stuff. I wish he would get back on board with doing this stuff, however,  I can tell you, its time consuming to make these kits and his profit is a lot lower than you might think. But, it did help the community a lot having them available.

Well if that was the case mine would not be running backwards at all. It does routinely. It's more of an annoyance now but that's it. It's not supposed to, but who knows what's actually going on.  Maybe these new dyna pickups are different?

m in sc

has to do with the magnet placement why nicks rotors work. 99% of the time, running backwards is due to timing being too far advanced. you -can- make it run backwards, but its not really easy with the VS rotor.  the pickups haven't functionally changed in over 20 years. they are smaller now but thats about it. A few of us on here used to modify the cb and kz dyna s systems back in the 'dark days' (of lack of good rd ignition availability), those things would run backwards if you breathed on them wrong.