Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Neutral Switch Plate Help

Started by BF519, August 19, 2019, 03:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BF519

1976 RD 400 Neutral Switch Plastic plate broke. When cleaning the grease out of the side case cover to replace the gear shift seal. I found a white piece of plastic to the cover for the neutral switch. I have ordered a new cover screws and o ring.
What is under the cover? When I remove the 3 screws will anything fall out. Wondering if it is a simple remove and replace cover and o ring.
Any help is appreciated !

Thanks, Bubba 

m in sc

just the end of the shift drum, nothing will fall out. its a remove and replace part as you said.  :patriot:

BF519

Thanks for the info. Trying to learn about the bike. Y'all are a great help! Ready to get her on the road again

Thanks , Bubva

retaRD

If the oil isn't drained you'll have a little mess, but you can still quickly swap out the old cover "raiders of the lost ark" style...

Organicjedi

Sometimes these things will leak no matter what. Consider getting some permatex ultra black. Put it on the plate where it contacts the case and around the screw holes.

I went through two o-rings on a new switch and it still leaked.

~JM~

Has anyone ever offered an aluminum or metal version?

Has anyone fabricated one?

I don't need a light to indicate Neutral.

retaRD

I ordered an aluminum one for a banshee from MacDaddy racing. 
My plastic one leaked for years.  No matter how many times I replaced the oring.

This one has stayed bone dry.

~JM~

BF519

Wish I had ordered one of those. If the OEM leaks I will try an Aluminum next. 

Dvsrd

Quote from: BF519 on August 22, 2019, 09:36:48 AM
You are aware that  it is just a block off, not a replacement  for the stock neutral switch plate?

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: BF519 on August 22, 2019, 09:36:48 AM

Use a new OEM from Yamaha and glue it with Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker and it won't leak!
I also cover the shaft plugs too.
Chuck

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

BF519

Thank you gentlemen. Plate should be here today. Gasket sealer in the garage. Leave on family trip before mail man arrives. Hopefully Monday It will run again. Also have Ethanol free gas waiting for the test ride.

Thanks, Bubba

Plasticman

This may be a dumb question, but if you glue this in like Chuck says, do you still use the OEM o-ring?  i'm having the same leaking problem and it's with a brand new OEM neutral switch/o-ring.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

Organicjedi

Quote from: Plasticman on August 26, 2019, 09:37:02 AM
This may be a dumb question, but if you glue this in like Chuck says, do you still use the OEM o-ring?  i'm having the same leaking problem and it's with a brand new OEM neutral switch/o-ring.

Rob

Yes, you'll want to use the o-ring.