Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

XS650 front brake/hub

Started by Czakky, August 30, 2019, 12:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

Has anybody ever mounted an early XS650 (XS1) front hub and brake assembly to an R5?

I'm looking for better brakes but while still keeping it old school. I see the drum takes different shoes and the exterior looks bigger.

Yamaha 179

I haven't looked into this directly but in talking to some of my vintage racing friends those brakes are rather hard to find and frequently have cracks in them.  Now, this maybe racing rumors but it is something to keep in mind.  There are a couple of AHRMA vintage events coming up pretty soon, one at Talladega GP race course (not the motor speedway) and one at Barber Motor Speedway, Leeds, AL.  I will be at both events and can ask around IF I can remember you want info.  If you wanted to make the trip the Barber event would be a great experience.
Lyn Garland

Czakky

Any input would be awesome. Not sure my brain could handle Barber! I just went to my first AHRMA event at Road America here in Sconnie. My mind was on overload. Thanks Lyn!
Bill

Dvsrd

The really  good drum brakes may be bought up by all the classic racers, like the early GT750 one. So a better, low cost drum brake may be hard to find. But if you are willing to spend some silly money, look at the TR3 replica drum from www.caferacersuspension.com

teazer

XS1 drums are excellent.  I don't recall any cracking  - unlike the Suzuki T500 drum brake which probably looks better.

I bought one years ago to fit onto a CB77 race bike I was collecting parts for. I had new race linings fitted by Vintage brake and had the drum arced and that cost a small fortune back then and probably a larger one today.  I think it's still taking up space in the shop in a cupboard where it's nice and dry. 

I should dig it out and sell it to pay for some of my other projects I guess.

Czakky