Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Clutch Question(s) RD350

Started by suey1958, November 29, 2019, 06:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

Is this another case of wrong info in the manual? I am not trying to contradict anyone, you guys obviously know what you're  doing. Why do they show a steel next to the pressure plate for 1972 r5c? That makes sevens steels and six fibers.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Jspooner

Quote from: Greaser Greg on December 01, 2019, 09:23:52 PM
Is this another case of wrong info in the manual? I am not trying to contradict anyone, you guys obviously know what you're  doing. Why do they show a steel next to the pressure plate for 1972 r5c? That makes sevens steels and six fibers.

I just dug out an old 6 plate clutch. Low and behold there are 7 steels all together. One of them is the extra thick one on the bottom and the last one on top is against the pressure plate like you say. So looks like the manual is right.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

SUPERTUNE

Yes... I'm corrected, I forgot about the last plate being a steel for the pressure plate to push on.
I do know if you change from the spider early hub you need to change the #16  in the diagram to a late thrust washer against the input shaft bearing. The early 6 plate is a stepped thrust washer and is thinner.
Both have to be the same thicker one in a 7 plate later model clutch. Any RD400's thrust washers will work.
That was one I had to help a customer earlier this year figure out what was wrong with his conversion from the 6 to the 7 plate clutch.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

suey1958

Thanks Guys, Just to be sure I am clear on this,... (Rd350) Using the later model hub and pressure plate.
We have 7 fiber plates,... we start the install with a fiber plate.  Correct?
We have a total of 7 steel plates (all the same size) That way we end up with a steel plate for the pressure plate to push on. Correct?

Also will go back and check to see if I have the correct ( thinner) thrust washer.      Thanks Again!

SUPERTUNE

Late 7 plate clutch is 7 fibers and only 6 normal steels.
Start with fiber, end in fiber. 6 steels in between.
Must use thicker thrust washer as the first one on the shaft next to the input bearing.
Both thrust washer will be the same in a late 7 plate setup.
Only the early 6 plate will use the stepped (thinner) thrust washer in your pic as #16.
So, in a late 7 plate clutch both thrust washers are the same.
In a early 6 plate clutch the thrust washers are different. The stepped (thinner) one goes on the shaft first.
Got it yet?
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

suey1958

Got it now Chuck, Thanks for the help  :clap:

suey1958

Got my new clutch cable in today,  got clutch plates in as advised, bolts tightened and torqued today. Everything was looking very good until I determined that the side case cover was bottoming out on the pressure plate screws. (took screws out and the cover slid right on with pressure plate still on)
I am guessing that my thrust washer(s) are too thick,...OR I forgot to mention that these engine cases have the 3 screw retainer that some do not have and wondering if that makes a difference. That was the reason I couldn't use 2 identical washers that Chuck suggested,  Got a bunch of parts to work from, just dont know if I have the right ones,... Hope the pics help.

SUPERTUNE

Are the spring bolts tight in the pics?
If they are, it's not right. I'll see what I have at the shop to look at again.
They shouldn't stick that far out from the pressure plate...
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

suey1958

Yes Sir, They are tight and in as far as they will go,...I have some other clutch screws but they are all the same size (35MM long)

m in sc

that stepped washer is for NON 3 screw retainer motor. (r5 etc)
no way that clutch is set up right, the screw heads should be almost flush with the pressure plate.  :twocents:

suey1958

Hey Mark, thats not a stepped washer, Its flat, (but it does look like it in the pic) Its just shiny on the outside edge. I remembered you saying not to use the stepped washer when I was at your shop. (You was going to turn it down on your lathe but I told you I had a flat one at home.)
I wanted to illustrate why I didnt use identical washers as chuck suggested,...The washer with the smaller O.D. was used  inside the retainer,....Larger one was too big. Thanks

SUPERTUNE

I'll be at the shop in about an hour...PM sent.
C

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

m in sc

suey1958

Clearance problem solved,...Took the p plate off and ran the bolts in to be sure they were going in all the way as they should. To my surprise they were NOT. They were so tight I thought they may break off or strip threads. Took a chanceand Ran the old bolts in all the way with vice grips. I had a fresh set of bolts that went in fine after that. So far, so good. Thanks for the help

SUPERTUNE

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765